Tcarroll, Home Buyer in Spring, TX

Does the seller or bank have the responsibility to have to lights,gas,water on during the inspection?

Asked by Tcarroll, Spring, TX Wed Oct 22, 2008

i am buying a home the bank turned off the lights,water , etc and now asking me and my husband to have to lights turned on for the inspection to be done.... that's CRAZY TO ME. its still not officaly my home yet

Answers

4
When you submitted your offer there should have been some addendum paperwork that you signed. This should detail who is responsible. Sometimes the bank will do it and other times it is the responsibility of the buyer. Usually the buyer is responsible, because you (typically) are buying the home "as-is". Hope that helps :).

Jackie
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 22, 2008
It would be the seller's responsibility to have the utilities turned on during inspection. It sounds like this home was in foreclosure and being sold by the bank. Therefore, the circumstances are different.
Unfortunately, the owner of a house calls the shots. It may seem not to be in their interest to shut off utilities, but it does save them money. HUD houses always have utilities shut off, and the buyer must request utilities be turned on and schedule their inspection that require utilities to occur during the small window they grant.. The property manager authorizes the turn-on on behalf of the bank Payment is by the buyer for usage. Most cities have become used to this on/off in a single day. The electric companies are not so easy.
But crazy as it is, yes, this is what really happens all the time.
Web Reference: http://www.SumnerRealty.com
No obligation by bank or seller to leave utilities on or turn them on. This is often a buyer responsibility on vacant homes. You are right, it does sound crazy to me too, but sometimes that's just the realities of the market. They may also want you to turn them off again after inspection and before closing to ensure a vacant home doesn't flood or blow up if the gas is left on. Just build it in to the price you offer is my suggestion. We often have to do this on homes with pools where there is no water in the pool. You have to build in pump and filter replacements as there is not much way to check
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX