Home Buying in Tallmadge>Question Details

Psyopwak, Home Buyer in Akron, OH

Does the inspection report a potential buyer has paid for and used become part of the disclosures on the house for sale for future buyers?

Asked by Psyopwak, Akron, OH Thu Jun 20, 2013

Does the seller and seller's realtor have an obligation to share this reports and it's findings?

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3119330857-452-Vinewood-Ave-T…

Answers

2
This is a very good question...

The inspection report itself, since it's arranged for and purchased by the buyer should be considered the sole property of the buyer. You do not have to share it(the document) with anyone you choose not to.

On the topic of "disclosure"........sellers are bound to disclose any recently identified problems that materially effect the property....regardless of the source. (For example, a structural inspection reveals that a home is infested with termites. Once this information is out there, regardless of who paid for the inspection, the seller is obligated to make this information public.)

The problem would most likely be picked up during subsequent inspections and as long as the report itself is not shared(photos, overview, recommendations, etc.) and the seller is only sharing the general deficiency, it commonly acceptable.

Thanks, I thought this varied from state to state. My realtor stated that the seller's agent only had to tell a potential buyer about a previous inspection IF that potential buyer asked. I live in Ohio. Also, I read that a realty company in Texas advises the sellers to NOT look at, or acknowledge the buyers chosen inspectors report because it often becomes a reason to justify costly repairs or leverage to drive the price down.
Flag Thu Jun 20, 2013
Absolutely- any defect that the seller becomes aware of before or during the marketing process is a matter of disclosure that agents and sellers are obligated to pass along to interested parties.