Home Buying in Grapevine>Question Details

albes_169, Home Buyer in Grapevine, TX

Does the Buyer's Agent charge its client of additional commission for finding its client a property to buy?

Asked by albes_169, Grapevine, TX Thu May 2, 2013

I am buying a property in Dallas and my broker found the property I like from the Seller's Agent, the Listing Agent! I understand that the Buyer's Agent and the Seller's Agent will share on the commission from the sales proceeds once the sale is done. Isn't the commission of the Buyer's Agent be taken from the Seller and split equally with the Seller's Agent , the Listing Agent?

Answers

9
That is correct. The Listing Agent and Buyer's Agent split the commission equally. If you signed a Buyer's Rep Agreement with your Broker it will also state if there are any additional fees. I have never heard of an agent charging an additional fee but you should definitely read over your agreement that you have with your agent.

I hope this information has helped you!

Make it a Great Day!

Tamika A. Goree
Broker | Owner
The DFW Property Shop
Cell: 972.697.1178
Fax: 972.665.7148
Email: tamika.goree21@gmail.com
I have never seen a buyers agent charge the buyer a dime. The buyers agent will get paid at the closing table from the seller. If you've found an agent expecting you to pay for his commission I would check the "buyers representation agreement" and double check.
albes_169,
Normally the seller pays the listing agency the commission and then that is split with the selling agency. That can change based on the contract the listing agency has with the seller and the contract the buyer may have with a buyers agent. If you signed a buyer's agent agreement you may still have to pay part of the commission to your agent. Ask you agent to explain buyers agency and what arrangement exists pertaining to this property.

Gary Geer
Results Realty
Good Morning
Commission that the agent representing you will be paid is agreed upon by you and the agent in the Buyer Representation Agreement. As several comments below have said a buyer's agent will typically get paid what ever the listing offers. This may be true, however it is a good idea to read through your Buyer Representation Agreement to see if the agent has included any additional fees and discuss what will occur in the event that a listing that you are interested in does not pay as much as the agreement stipulates.
Commissions are set when the seller engages the listing agent.
They tell the buyer's agent up front what they will pay.

So in most cases that's already set in motion before you ever even see the house.

I think most buyer agents will not care if they sell you a house listed by their agency or another one. It's a great system we have here. We know up front as buyer's agents that we can show and sell a house listed by another agency and there is a system to get paid.

To me this works in your favor as you don't have to drive all over town yourself, calling different people, trying to set different appointments, meeting different agents, and then working with one that is trying to get the highest price for the seller. You leave all that to your agent and then they work to get the best price for you since they are your agent.
Thank you so much! That's clearly been defined to me NOW!
Flag Thu May 2, 2013
Thank you so much! That's clearly defined to me now!!!
Flag Thu May 2, 2013
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
YES.. .the commissions are split between the listing/buyer's agent WHICH seller pays for. Same when you sell the property you as the owner of the property will be paying for all Realtors fees.

Grapevine homes for sale Grapevine Tx - website updated daily
http://www.lynn911.com/Web/AR287090/CustomContent/index/5130258

Contact my office today where I can show you many amazing homes work with your family specifications.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com 100's of Dallas homes listed for sale or lease

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas
The buyers' agent are usually compensated through Cooperating Broker Commission Agreement. This is a unilateral agreement among broker members of the MLS.

The normal practice is that the seller pays the listing broker a certain percentage of the sale. And then the listing broker decides how they want to split the commission with cooperating brokers.

I hope this helps.
Yes and thank you for the clarification!
Flag Thu May 2, 2013
Yes, and thank you for enlightening me..
Flag Thu May 2, 2013
Generally speaking, yes. But there are instances where the seller offers only a 1% to 2% cooperating fee to the buyer's broker and your agreement, if any, may stipulate you as the buyer make up the difference.
That is correct. The seller pays both buyers and sellers agents in the transaction.