Home Buying in Annapolis>Question Details

shelly.phill…, Home Buyer in Edgewater, MD

Does removing a shower stall depreciate the value of a home?

Asked by shelly.phillips85, Edgewater, MD Sun Mar 24, 2013

My husband and I are buying our first home in the Annapolis area. It has everything we want and is perfect for us. The one problem I can see is lack of general storage space, specifically linen storage. All of the bedrooms have large closets, and there's limited storage space from shelving in the hall where the W&D are situated. The home has 3 full baths; one large guest bath (hall access) with bath/shower combo, a good-size master with bath/shower combo, and very small hall bathroom with a shower stall.

My question is about the small hall bath, which is really the size of a half bath. Will removing the shower stall and turning it into a linen closet affect the value of the home? As it is right now, I can't imagine having enough room to comfortably take a shower, dry off, get dressed, etc. When opening the door, you can't even see the shower - I totally missed it during our first walk through and thought it was a 2.5 bath home. Any insights would be very helpful!

Answers

4
Sounds like you've come up with a great plan to make that usable space for your family. I say go for it. The "market value" difference between a full bath and a half bath is less than $5k and EVERYONE wants storage space so you might not lose out at all. Make that home your own and enjoy!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 25, 2013
Hello Homebuying in Annapolis,
If the small hall bath is on the main level of the house, I would not turn it into a linen closet. Most buyers prefer to have at least a powder room/half bath on the main floor for convenience. However, if there is a shower there than it would not hinder the value of the property unless there is a first floor master bedroom. Most buyers that are looking for a first floor master desire a full bath as well because of convenience.
Therefore if all three bathrooms are on the 2nd floor then it would not devaluate the value of the property by much by converting to a half bath and removing the shower. Normally, there is a definite value by increasing the number of baths but the location can also be important.
However, keep in mind you are the one living in the house, so you can do what you want! That is the privilege of home ownership!You can always convert the linen closet back to a bath when you go to sell!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 24, 2013
I think you misunderstood my question. I do not wish to convert the entire bathroom to a linen closet. My idea was to rip out the stand-up shower stall and convert that into a linen closet, thus making it a half bath instead of a 3/4 bath.
Flag Mon Mar 25, 2013
Hi Shelly,

The more baths tend to itself to higher value but since you will be the owner you can do anything you want with the home to accommodate your family's needs. when it comes time to sell it you can convert it back if you would like.
Good luck on your purchase.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 24, 2013
I should have added that it's a ranch home and all bathrooms are on the same (main) level. :-)