Home Buying in Knoxville>Question Details

alwaysomethi…, Home Seller in 37886

Does our previous realtor have to provide us with a list of those people who have been shown our house if we request it?

Asked by alwaysomething2, 37886 Sun Jan 26, 2014

Our listing is just 2 months old.

Answers

8
No............... no Realtor "has" to do this.........If this was important to you, you could/should have asked that this information be provided as part of your listing agreement.

For the record, buyer's names are not usually provided as their agents prefer to protect their privacy.........also...........no buyer's agent wants the other agent to know their client's name - unless they're ready to make an offer!
So I am curious and just have to ask..........why would you want the names?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 27, 2014
well, in my area, in order for the agent to be protected, they would have to specifically register the client (may have to send a certified letter)- most agents don't bother unless they have someone who expressed a lot of interest. Of course, in the absence of any list, you can always ask the people who call you if they have ever been to the house with an agent.
Flag Tue Jan 28, 2014
We have a 180 carryover clause on our previous agreement and don't want to be caught off guard by those who have come thru previously with an agent, and pay the commission fee.
Flag Mon Jan 27, 2014
In my opinion, even if you asked your Realtor® to gather this information, you may not necessarily get it. If I were a buyer and wanted to view a home, and I was required to give my name to the Sellers, I may think that is weird and opt not to even view the home. I would wonder why the Seller would even be concerned as to who I am. Thank you!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 27, 2014
We have a 180 day carryover clause in our old agreement and don't want to be caught off guard of those who have come thru our home with an agent, and pay the commission fee.
Flag Mon Jan 27, 2014
It depends on the rules for Protected Buyers which can change state by state. Which state are you requesting information about, Tennessee?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 26, 2014
Tennessee
Flag Mon Jan 27, 2014
Do they "have" to? No. In fact, your Realtor may not know the names of the buyers who've been shown your home... only the names of the Realtors who accompanied them.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 26, 2014
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
I'm a Realtor in your area. When a buyer client of mine requests to see a home that is listed in our MLS, I schedule a showing with the listing agent's office. However, I am not asked to provide my client's name; it is my guess that this is to prevent the listing agent from being tempted to "poach" my client. Therefore your agent never knew the identities of those who were shown your home by other agents. If your agent held an Open House, s/he might have a record of attendees who chose to sign a guest register, but many visitors decline to sign. Finally, your agent may have shown the home to his/her own buyer clients, and would probably have a record of that. I am certain your agent would ask that you verify the name of any potential buyer with him/her to be certain that person was not shown the house on his/her watch, but would not be obligated to share any names of potential customers for your home with you. You might want to consider extending an offer to your former list agent to pay him/her a percentage of the sale price of the home to bring you a buyer. Agents in your area frequently have many, many buyers contacting them looking for properties. If you would like the name of a very reputable agent who specifically works your area and is friendly and helpful, let me know, and I will connect you.

Regina Santore
Coldwell Banker Wallace & Wallace, REALTORS
http://www.facebook.com/morewithsantore
ABsolutely NOT! ----- Why? you might ask. ----#1. Your agent DOES NOT KNOW-------#2.The agent who represents the buyer SHOULD not disclose the buyers IDENTITY #3. The buyer EXPECTS to be protected from home owners who might go rogue. -----#4. Your agent can provide you the list of other agents or brokerage who brought buyers to your home through the MLS. You can call them.----
------- You may be unaware of the havoc you will cause when you succumb to the temptation to do what you think your agent has failed to do. It a mission that will result in a trail of smoldering ruins and you will be back on TRULIA blaming the real estate agents...FOR YOUR ACTION. ----
-------- Rather than turning to strangers on the internet, you should be turn towards your agent and disucss your concerns. -------Perhaps it is time to actually follow your agents suggestions regarding the price and marketing strategy. Of course, the possibility exits that TRUST no longer exists, for whatever reason. Then you need to chat WITH YOUR AGENT about finding different representation. Your agent will explain your options.------ No, that won't work either, The idea of placing a sign in book at the door will get the agents name...and that is all. Citizens looking to make a home purchase are instructed to NEVER place their contact information in those sign in books. Those who do, identify themselves of folks who can succumb just like you..... a sign to which their agent should pay very acute attention.
This is something you ask for "before" showing begins. If you did not ask for this, your Realtor may not be able to provide that information to you.