Gloriamendez…, Home Buyer in San Antonio, TX

Does my homeowners policy fix my house if it is shifting because the builder has gone bankrupt?

Asked by Gloriamendez12, San Antonio, TX Wed Oct 10, 2012

brick is spilting from middle of outside of structure, sheetrock cracking inside, doors not closing properly and one window has cracked on corner. this is a two story structure.

Help the community by answering this question:


Read your insurance policy thoroughly, or call your insurance agent and ask them directly. Good Luck! Joe
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 10, 2012
I think you meant to ask is the builder liable for erecting a structurally deficient building due to bad business practices. If this is a stretch and it's due to natural settlement then this is a not a legal issue but an insurance issue based on your policy, simply contact your insurance agent.

BUT if you think this was a problem caused by the defective construction of your home and is not evidenced in another home in the immediate area then you may have a legal case. I might recommend seeking legal representation, I'm not a lawyer or educated in practicing law so who knows.

Seriously though, you need to get with you insurance and get the issue resolved as soon as possible.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 10, 2012
Your problems are not because the builder has gone bankrupt, there are structural settling issues that are very serious going on it sounds like. You need to speak to the insurance agent and have some estimates for repair made and soon.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 10, 2012
The only one who can answer that is your insurance company. Some do cover situations like you have when they are caused by various problems. I would call your agent to discuss it immediately. It isn't the sort of problem you want to let go on too long.

Ron Cullinan
Avalar Austin
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 10, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer