Home Buying in San Francisco>Question Details

Skytech Solar, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

Does installing Solar add value to your home?

Asked by Skytech Solar, San Francisco, CA Mon Feb 4, 2013

Answers

6
As others mentioned, it will definitely add value to your home, but the time and process to install solar paneling is extensive so I wouldn't recommend it if your are planning on selling right away. If you plan to live in your home for a while, it's a great way to cut down on electricity costs and is helpful for the environment!
I think it definitely adds value to your home. The efficiency of the panels will depend on a number of factors, especially geographic location. Even if you can't use them to their full potential, they are still worth having. It may take a while to recoup the cost, but it is the responsible thing to do. I would contact a solar broker to find more information that is specific to your area.

http://www.solarrfp.com/index.php/whysolarrfp
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 22, 2014
Definitely!
Will you get your investment back?
Not soon!

In 20 years; it will be the norm.
No question.
Solar has some great applications, but it's all location specific due to weather/climate. If you're wanting to live off the grid, and planning for it as new construction, no problem, but retro fitting is
almost always a headache.

Panels on a roof certainly don't enhance visual appeal, and they create other maintenance concerns.

Solar is not a winner in every case due to the expense of converting the UV rays to useable forms of energy (the technology is very expensive even when highly subsidized). Wind is also free, but not
always as reliable, and agains the technology is a factor. Geothermal is fine, but most economical on the large scale. Ocean waves are constant, but we haven't seen much accomplished there yet.
At this point teh vaue added is mimimal. It does make it more desirable to buyers who are educated in solar. I think the key is to make teh use of solar more appealing to more buyers and sellers by educating them on it.
I would not suggest doing it just to make the house more sell able to a buyer. If you added it in the past for yourself is one thing, some will love it and some will find it ugly.