Home Buying in Franklin>Question Details

Kjniehoff, Home Buyer in Mansfield, MA

Does baseboard heating make a home harder to sell than forced air?

Asked by Kjniehoff, Mansfield, MA Sat Oct 6, 2012

Answers

14
I disagree with Tim, the best system is fhw baseboard and then central air. Remember heat rises and air falls.

The reason most builders dont do it this way is because it is the most expensive way to do it. Also the baseboards take up wall space for furniture and are not as pretty.

Today when I build I do hydro air, although it is not as good as the 1st option it is better than just fha.

Buyers just want to know when they turn the heat on it works.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
Agreed. Buyers are quite a bit less interested in how the heat works, and more interested in whether or not it does. Baseboard heating has several advantages, and most people find it more comfortable. Don't change something that's working well already. | http://www.feldmanfloorheat.com
Flag Thu Jan 29, 2015
It is my opinion that baseboard hot water is more comfortable. Further people with allergies usually try to avoid forced air.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
I believe it's a personal preference. As in everything, there are positive and negative to each option, Forced air can be considered "less clean" or more work as you need to change the filters. Many people with allergies tend to stay away from forced are systems, but the upside is Central Air. If the house does not have it, it's much easier to put it in as you can use the same air ducts. Bottom line, it''s most of the time not a factor in the decision making process. Fuel preference is also just that, preference. Yes, many people don't want electric, but with huge oil prices and education that electric is zoned so you can shut off areas of your home, Electric homes are no longer the taboo they used to be. Gas is preferred by cooks but some are concerned about the dangers of the home exploding. This also need to be addressed by consumer education. Well, I can go on, but you get the picture.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 23, 2013
Most buyers would prefer baseboard as opposed to forced air. It is cleaner and the allergen levels are lower. In my area, most homes offer this type of heating.
I really don't see baseboard being a deterrent for buyers in my area. I think more concerning is the fuel type. Lately many buyers are concerned buying a home with oil heat rather then gas.
In this area Baseboard heating would be considered the norm with many units that give off 97% Energy Star ratings.
I have nver had an issue, I have had buyers though that leaned away from gas heating before, which was odd, but it has happened. Like others said, its based off of preference, but I doubt it would cost you tolose a sale over it.
That is not usually a huge concern for most buyers. There are advantages and disadvantages to each.
I think a lot has to do with personal preferences. Some people like baseboard because it is more gentle with less air movement. But many like the quicker response of forced air.

Ron
Forced air is usually considered an "upgrade" compared to baseboard because you can add central air. However it costs about the same to own. All that considered it doesn't make it harder to sell per se but the forced air will have some (albeit maybe small) added value.

Territory.com
Massachusetts Premier Buyer Brokerage
Web Reference: http://territory.com/
Not at all. There are pluses and minuses to every form of heat. Baseboard heat is not as dry as Forced hot air that typically requires some form of humidifier. Forced hot air can be more desirable if someone wishes to add Central Air as the duct work in the house is already done. Appraisers do not discount for baseboard heat so it does not affect your resale value.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
I agree with Louis.

If you're asking about hot water baseboard (gas) heat - well, that's the preferred, albeit more expensive, way to go.
It is the most efficient, and not as dry as forced hot air heat (better for you - no need to add a humidifier to the system).

However, as Louis also pointed out......it is more expensive to build a home using that type of heat, so most builders do not offer it.
With forced hot air, the same ductwork is used to heat and cool the house. That's not the case with HW baseboard heat. It's efficient because, with overhead central air vents ...cold air drops, and hot air rises.

Now.....if you're asking about ELECTRIC baseboard heat....that's a different story.....so......nevermind!!

:)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
does it cost more to heat the home?
Flag Sun Nov 16, 2014
In this greater Boston area, there does not seem to be one type of heating that affects home sale values. Many years ago, electric heat used to make for a tough sale but not anymore. Buyers are most concerned about homes being affordable and in good locations. Since there are never enough homes for sale in any given price range during the past 7 years, buyers are just happy to find a good home!

Please feel free too check out my blog for more resources and advice on buying and selling at http://www.franklinmahomes.com/blog.

Kathy Stankard
Coldwell Banker/Franklin
508-369-5131
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
It is less desirable these days because it is pretty inefficient, but it sort of depends what the forced air heat system source is. If it were forced air with an electric strip heat it would be almost the same thing, but it could include an ac for the summer months where as the baseboard does not. If the forced air is oil or gas it could be more desirable.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012