Home Buying in North Beach>Question Details

Laurence, Real Estate Pro in 94109

Does apt trump location?

Asked by Laurence, 94109 Wed Jul 25, 2007

Apt 1: Pacific/Van Ness,no hill,weird railway layout with 1 little window in middle room,1st floor, kinda hear van ness traffic,good size, no view(but no facing windows),enough light,Polk and Union next door
Apt 2: Clay/Jones,top of hill (I don't have a car),nice layout, top floor,private with no noise,kinda small, amazing view,lots of light,nothing around
Both are 1bdr/1ba, no price diff

Answers

6
The apt and location are factors that will affect your lifestyle.
#1 may have better walkability but #2 has the views and is less busy.
I have lived in apartments is both areas (Washington/Jones & Bay/Van Ness). I liked the location much better for the Marina one. I had a great place on Nob Hill, but my friends and boyfriend could NEVER find parking. I had people circle for 30 minutes and then call me to tell me they were going home. No kidding. It is the worst parking neighborhood ever, even if you don't have a car! The Van Ness location was awesome for public transport, walking, dining, everything. No hills. Too bad it does not sound like as nice of a place, but how much time do you really spend at home when you are not sleeping?
Having made a similar rental decision a few years back, I say go with the apartment closest to amenities. I moved out of my awful, overpriced, basement apartment 3 blocks from my job, a block from the grocery, and surrounded by all of the places I liked to go to move to a less expensive beautiful greystone a couple of neighborhoods over. I hated it. I would have taken the dingiest little overpriced rathole just to be back in my old neighborhood!

Think about how important it is to you to have the things you need and transportation at your door. Are you a homebody? In that case, you may not mind a little more difficulty getting to and from where you want and need to go. If you are out more than in, I would choose the location over the view.
Sorry for the late response, assuming that you are still renting and not buying and considering that you don't have a car, I'd personally go with the second apartment. Living-wise, the second apartment appears to give you a warmer, homier feel than the first apartment even though it might not be centrally located to entertainment, nightlife, and necessities. But you work right? You can always drop by the grocery store to buy some steak, veggies, and shampoo right before going home. But I personally value the comfort and coziness of my home so that sways me towards apartment #2, good luck on your decision!
Web Reference: http://www.simpluxe.com
I'm probably going to rent it if I decide to move. I'm more concerned about if I'm going to like it when I live there...
YES!!! I always ask my buyers to imagine themselves as the sellers in the future. From your description, I would bet the easier sell will be the unit on Clay & Jones. Nobody likes weird. Everybody loves a view. I am sure you can figure out transportation issues from which ever location you choose to buy.
Mario Pinedo,…, Real Estate Pro in Beverly Hills, CA