Hrs26, Home Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

Does anyone recommend getting a home warranty? Are they helpful or are they more of a hassle than they are worth? Just looking for some advice. Thanks

Asked by Hrs26, Philadelphia, PA Sun Feb 27, 2011

Answers

7
Gene Fish’s answer
It is a good thing to have. It depends on many factors and especially on condition of the house that you are buying.
Not all the Home Warranty companies are easy to work with. You may ask me later if you are interested.
I've had five of my buyers collect on home warranty since July of 2010. Hot water heater; refrigerator, furnace and roots growing into pipes. I always recommend that buyer ask for from seller or purchase on their own. And depending on how hold your big ticket items are such as a furnace, you may want to take advantage of the offer to extend for another year. Customary cost for the one I use is around $400.00.

No hassle at all. Just call the 800 number 24/7. They send someone out and you are good to go.
Web Reference: http://www.lindacefalu.com
Truly depends no cost for you the property owner pays for it... based on the terms of the sales contract

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
I recommend American Home Shield,if you are buying an older home or after the inspection, the heater and water heater are over 10 years old
It can be a definite plus, especially when the seller is including a home warranty in with the sale of their home.

Home warranties are best when the age of furnaces, A/C units, water heaters and appliances are unknown. As they can be expensive repairs, it can offer 'peace of mind' to home buyers.

But not all warranties are alike. So you need to know what the warranty covers and how much is the cost of deductible per incident. You may discover that the cost is not worth what the warranty covers.
It's an insurance policy so it is like all insurance in that if you need it and use it, then you will love it and look at it as a value. If you never need to use it, then you look at it as a waste. I have heard pro and con, but the bottom line to me is that it is $500 and if the buyer wants it they will ask for it and its not an expensive thing to give them.
Dear Home Buyer
Not only do I recommend home warrenties for my clients, but I buy them myself. I can fix anything in a home and it still makes good financial sense to by a home warrenty when I sell and buy.
Benny Smith.