Kathy Devine, Home Buyer in Middle Village, NY

Does anyone know the regulations re: removal of asbestos siding when purchasing an old house? asbestos siding

Asked by Kathy Devine, Middle Village, NY Tue May 22, 2012

Does asbestos siding need to be removed when purchasing an older house before you can be approved?

Answers

4
Anna Brocco’s answer
If you would like it removed, it needs to be done by a contractor licensed to remove asbestos; they have methods that prevent dust, and can dispose properly; also see links for helpful information...
http://www.epa.gov/libby/inhome.html
http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/8791.html
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 22, 2012
Hi Kathy, NO there are no regulations regarding removal (that I know of) and I've sold many older homes with asbestos shingles. If it is not in bad condition you can paint over it or cover it over with vinyl siding or whatever siding you prefer. If it needs to be removed (terrible condition called friable) should be professionally removed and disposed of properly. I have used on many occasions Home Environmental Consulting, Inc ask for Tom Parisi 1-800-626-9912 for free estimates Homenvir@aol.com . Very honest, reputable and very reasonable. Terry K 718-614-3167 or email TKorahais@elliman.com
Thank you that was so helpful!
Flag Wed May 23, 2012
Doesn't have to be removed, but of you do it must be handled and disposed of correctly
What I know, I got off HGTV;
so it's may be correct; but don't rely on this:

The asbestos is fine as long as you don't disturb it. Just cover it up.

or,

You can remove it and start over:
If you do it yourself, (remember the face mask, gloves, eye protection, etc) you can do it, you will just have trouble getting rid of it.
You can hire an Absestos Specialist.

Good luck and may God bless