Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

Brendan Ross, Real Estate Pro in Chicago, IL

Does anyone know of any condos in Chicago that operate private electric car charging stations in their parking garage?

Asked by Brendan Ross, Chicago, IL Fri Dec 6, 2013

Answers

12
I know the Aqua building (I think it's 225 N Columbus), has charging stations in it's garage for residents. They do condo sales and rental in that building. I know of a few other rental high rises that have charging as well, but I am sure there are a few (but only a few) other condo buildings that have it in place.

What most have to do, is work with the condo board and come up with an install cost and a surcharge (usually since the wiring has to be hooked to the building meter, not yours). It can be a bit expensive and difficult to get done, but I know many that have done it. Myself, it cost me about $2,500 to wire up high amperage charging in my condo building, and they were able to get it on my own meter.

If you find any other buildings in you inquiry, I would love to hear about it. I am committed to green tech in my real estate business, and want to continue to learn as much as I can to provide for my clients needs.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
Good information Steve - thank you, and I will let you know what I find out!
Flag Fri Dec 6, 2013
Steve, great post, excellent info to have. Thanks.
Flag Fri Dec 6, 2013
Outer Drive East - 400 E. Randolph St, Chicago, IL has a charging station in the parking lot on the lobby level. The garage is actually open to the public for paid parking.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
I've seen a few. Even in some parking garages downtown. I hear tesla will install one for you if you purchase their vehicle.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
Steve is right, the Aqua has it. I think that is the only one though.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
im pretty sure a few of the new rental buildings do..
for sure the 215 W Washington, Chicago has them, as does the public parking garage on Walton just west of Michigan Ave, services the 900 Mich. building
Flag Tue Dec 2, 2014
Excellent question!!!!!!!!
Both buildings that I am aware of are located downtown. Sorry, can't remember the addresses.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
Brendan,

Great question. I know of a gentleman that has a Tesla in a rental. He got permission from the building to be able to plug in. You may want to reach out to few buildings to see if they would allow your client to essentially plug in. The catch is any modification needed will have to be done at your clients expense just was if it was his/her own home.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
Steve is right , but there is more that are working on and will be finished in 2014 at Milenium park
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
Last I checked there were 2 buildings in the city that offered the service, but I'm sure there will be more.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
I've seen select rental buildings with charging stations. I'd check with all the recently built rental high rises.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
Great Question, check with your Broker, he should know.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013