Home Buying in Tampa>Question Details

smatsang, Home Buyer in Tampa, FL

Does anyone know if West Bay Homes are built solidly?

Asked by smatsang, Tampa, FL Mon Apr 29, 2013

We are deciding between, West Bay, Southern Crafted Homes and DR Horton. Any feedback you can provide is appreciated!

Answers

10
West Bay is solid...Southern Pacific is solid...not as familiar with DR Horton...Meritage is also a good builder...excellent green features!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 29, 2013
They are many good builders out there and West Bay is one of them. When looking for new homes around Tampa Bay it is important to research the new home builders and become familiar with their past work. Knowing who the new home builders are and how they build their homes can determine whether or not the purchase of your home will be worthwhile. Unfortunately, researching new home builders and new home communities can be a time consuming task. We have represented many clients in the process of buying their new home and have built lasting relationships with home builders such as West Bay Homes, Southern Crafted Homes, DR Horton, Cardel Homes, Ashton Woods, Lennars Homes, Hannah-Bartoletta, Toll Brothers and many other builders around the Tampa Bay area. My team of experts will jealously guard your interest. We know who is building what...and where. We can narrow your search before you get in the car. These are just a few of the ways my team of Buyer's Representatives can save you time and money. Best of all, OUR SERVICES WON'T COST YOU A PENNY! ZERO, NADA....Sales agents in model centers represent ONLY the builder, so while their interests are protected, guarding your own is left entirely up to you. We work for you and protect your interests all the way to "Closing" and after the “Closing. The builder has an agent on site to represent them, Why not take a Pro along to represent YOU.
Remember, just because you don't have a Realtor doesn't mean you can discount the Realtor's commission from the price. If they did this they will be lowering the overall value of the homes in the community hurting other buyers and themselves. Builders will NOT do this. So, take advantage of our FREE SERVICES, specially for new homes and communities. Builders pay commissions to Realtors but don't offer discounts to buyers not having a Realtor when purchasing new homes. So you may as well take advantage of our free services and expertise.
Building in my neighborhood at Southfork and have cement trucks pouring at 5:30 in the morning. Guess they don't care that some people have to sleep. Same issues with the old silt fence that was left around our lake. Still there or should I say the posts are still up. No response from the developer.
As a recent owner of a West Bay home (closed in June), I would not recommend them, as painful as it is for me to say that because I know it only hurts my house value. They do offer a nice home, but their customer experience has been AWFUL. There is a huge lack of talent at their design center (we basically had to do their job for them) and their approach to customer satisfaction once you sign the contract is pretty poor. We are now over 90 days from our closing and still have a list of 20+ items that need to be finalized. We've met with management and that still hasn't seemed to do us any good. He didn't seem to provide much value either. We are still waiting for our house to be completely finalized and nobody from West Bay that we have met with seems to really care about making the customer happy. They just want their money from new house sales and then they move on!
My husband and I are in the midst of the same experience! Our sales representative and project manager are the most unprofessional individuals I've ever come across. The design center is a fiasco and the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. I emplore anyone thinking about contracting with WestBay to visit the design center before you sign anything! You will also need to take pictures of everything you choose at the design centers. I've had to use my pictures on 3 occasions to get them to correct their errors. We were given pricing and they tried to charge $4,000 more because they changed companies along the way. We've been lied to repeatedly by our sales rep and project manager. We've shared craftsmanship quality displeasure with our project manager and his response was we bought a semi custom home, not a custom home. He believes there is a distinct difference in the quality we should expect. This has been a TERRIBLE experience. I wouldn't wish this on anyone
Flag Wed Nov 5, 2014
We purchased a WestBay home Sept 2012 and still have unresolved issues from our "Punch list" created up closing. Every time any work is done, it is done incorrectly, or causes another problem requiring additional explaining, photos, etc.
Flag Fri May 9, 2014
Same exact experience here! Extremely dissatisfied. We were three months late to close, found it to be very poor quality work, problems galore, and no one cares. EVERY single person I've met in this community (which is solely a Westbay neighborhood) has had the same experience. It has been a nightmare! So sad considering the amount of money spent.
Flag Mon Feb 10, 2014
I had the exact same experience with WestBay. We are still having problems with our house (some major) but they do not want to come fix them. Stay away from WestBay.
Flag Fri Nov 8, 2013
Home values have increased so some builders may be fine if you decided to cancel your contract because they may be able to sell it for more money. For that reason they may not be willing to give you any "extras" you may be seeking...
Flag Thu Sep 5, 2013
Homes by Westbay build a great home and do have a wonderful local management team that works to keep customers happy. Don't think you would be disappointed.
I suggest that use an analytical approach to evaluate the pro's and con's for each of the builders. Before I got into real estate, I was a management consultant and I helped corporations evaluate different software products for their business. We would grid, score and weight all the factors to help the client see what software was the best for their business. I take that same approach to help my clients evalute builders.

I'm sure you've heard that real estate is about location, location, location. When evaluating these three builders I think you'll find that they don't build in the same communities so a lot of your decision should probably consider the location. They all are capable builders but I find a lot of the decision is based on location, floorplan, style and value. Remember to think about "value" not just cost. 5 or 10 years from now which home will have the best value?

If you'd like me to help you with your selection and decision process, please contact me.
West Bay builds a fine home. I have buyers who have built with them and they were very satisfied with the process, quality and their home.

I know the West Bay management team and they are very experienced and professional.
If you're not yet working with a Realtor you may want to have one at your side to help with negotiating. Also make sure to have a multi stage professional inspection because I have seen serious defects and it's better to keep the builder on their toes!

Meritage has great green features that will save you a significant amount of money. Also the tile roofs Meritage offers will give a much higher end feel.

If you're interested in a larger lot there is Crystal Preserve in Lutz that is a small enclave of higher end homes. Very limited lot selection left.

Also if you think you may be able to negotiate a better deal directly with the builder you may find out they are not going to give you a better deal. In fact I have known situations where the model minder agent has a close relationship with outside Realtors and will in fact assign you to one of those agents who will get the commission! So better to bring your own agent who will look out for your best interests.

Also an agent may offer to sell your existing home for a significant discount if she/he is your Realtor on your newly built home.

Alma
Alma Rose Kee, PA
Future Home Realty
813.244.9898
http://www.SoldOnTampa.com
We specialized in New Construction. We live and work in their back yard. They are all great builders with great attention to details. If you are looking to buy in the FishHawk, Lithia, Valrico area give me a call 813-944-2145.

Enjoy your day!
We have worked with home buyers for both Homes by West Bay and Southern Crafted Homes. Homes were built to the Buyers satisfaction and they were pleased with the quality of construction.

Southern Crafted Homes is a locally owned semi-custom builder with a solid track record and financial standing. Homes by West Bay has communities throughout the Tampa Bay area.

Have not personally worked with DR Horton, however they are a national builder.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Lisa! This was really helpful. Do you know what the average percentage of price is people spend in upgrades when building a home?
Flag Mon Apr 29, 2013