Jodi1617, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

Does anyone know anything about the Danbury Parc community in Brookhaven area, within zip 30319?

Asked by Jodi1617, Atlanta, GA Thu May 21, 2009

Wanted to find out, if anyone knew anything about,

1. Centex builders and their quality of new home construction (townhomes). after a google search, i found they are within the top 5 builders. But any personal experiences?
2. Brookhaven area zip 30319, near the Blackburn park – how is this area in terms of safety, etc..has anyone lived nearby this area, what do they think about it?
3. How are the schools within this area? (Though we don’t have any kids, we will in future, and also from the point of resale)
4. Can anyone comment about the house prices range within this area? Does 280k for a (4 bed) new (2009) townhome sound reasonable and good value for money within this area?

If anyone can comment about anything good or bad within this area, or the community please let me know. Any advice will be appreciated. “

Answers

9
Danburyparcowner’s answer
We have been in Danbury Parc since spring 2008 and LOVE it. I really can't imagine living anywhere else. We are in one of the two-story townhomes.

The location is fantastic- easy access to 400, 285, and 85. You can also get to Buckhead in 10 min and Perimeter Mall in 5 min. You also have all the ethnic restaurants on Buford about 10 min away. You can walk to Blackburn Park and the huge tennis center there. You can also walk to Kroger, Publix, Starbucks, and about 7-8 different restaurants.

I've been very happy with our home construction too. The floorplan is great and we always get ravishing compliments from visitors.

There's a reason that the townhomes basically all sold out before construction.
Hello, I'm replying from a buyer's perspective. I started researching this area 2 years ago and moved into this area last summer specifically for the schools, convenience to EVERY major activity in the metro area, safety, security, and property value appreciation. I could not select a more perfect area in the metro area to live and start a family. This location is prime real estate, holds its value over time, and will always be a coveted location.

***The public schools in this area are the absolute best in DeKalb county (Chamblee Middle & High, Kittridge and gifted programs, etc); and in the top 5 best in the state.

***The crime stats are basically a non-issue in the 30319 zip (both Danbury and Dresden). However, Dresden is closer to a less favorable Buford Hwy district and City of Chamblee area (zip 30341).

I believe Danbury Parc was overpriced for the size (nearly 300k for TH, and up to high 400s + for homes), lacked amenities (pool only--no fitness center, clubhouse, walking trails, gazebos, dog park/area, etc) and lack of outdoor space.

I found the Dresden THs to be much more high end and spacious, most w/up to 4BRs, and the community is fully developed and occupied. Danbury still has a LOT of construction going on and I was not fond of being in a new, start-up community that had ceased building, and still yet sits undeveloped. My concern was that it would remain that way and the property value would drop . . . and it did.

If you're looking for an investment, Danbury would be an "OK" choice b/c the price is dropping. If you're looking for a home, I chose Dresden because there was SO much more for the same amount of money and the benefits of good schools, great location, and more easily accessible to the interstates.

Good luck on your search!
MsTee, myytime07@yahoo.com
I could love this community, that is, if Centrex was'nt involve. My advice.........Run....Jodi....Run....and don't look back....Centrex has got some real problems. Since being purchased by Pulte, another cheap builder, they have gotten even worst. In their case bigger is only good for them and not the customers they tend to leave in their dust..........This would definitely be a buyer beware buyer be warned moment.
We also looked at Dresden Creek and there were a number of turn-offs. First of all, would you rather say you live in Chamblee or in Atlanta? With Danbury Parc you live in Atlanta, Dresden Creek is in Chamblee. Dresden Creek is also much closer to the unsavory areas of Buford Highway, and in an area that still seems a bit sketchy, especially when compared to Danbury Parc.

Dresden Creek may have more homes sold in 2007 and 2008, but to imply that means homes were sitting in Danbury Parc without buyers is very misleading - Centex deliberately didn't build during 2008 for multiple reasons, and when they did release lots late 2008/early 2009 they had a number of buyers lined up, as sold signs went up within days.

With Danbury Parc there are also little things that make it feel homey - I for one love having my mailbox at the end of the driveway, with Dresden Creek you have to drive to the community mailbox - just like in an apartment complex.

When we were looking Dresden Creek was charging more money for less square footage in a less desirable location. In addition, they are so close to Peachtree Dekalb Airport that they have pretty frequent plane noise - I sat there for several hours (and did the same at Danbury Parc) and the small prop planes were overhead constantly and you could definitely hear them - even indoors with the door shut.
Hello Jodi1617,

The Danbury is a very nice complex. However, I sent you information once before about " Dresden Creek" by Beazer Homes in Brookhaven. The area etc. is very comparable. What I think is very interesting are the comps between the two complex. Danbury Parc in 2007 and 2008 sold approx. 18 townhomes with an average Original List Price of $373,211, $358,380 Final List Price and actual Sold Price of $310,867. Dresden Creek during the same time frame sold approx. 15 townhomes with an average Original List Price of $423,208, $408,491 Final List Price and actual Sold Price of $365,794. I think this is something worth considering. Of course, both complex are in the closeout phase and the final townhomes will sell for under $300,000 at both complex. However, if you get the value at Dresden Creek you have made a better purchase for the same amount of money. Also,you've achieved your goals of area, schools, safety etc. My analysis was pulled from the FMLS CMA (Competitive Market Analysis) Buyer
Report. If you would like to discuss this with me further please call me at 678-427-5512.

Warmest Regards,

Rick Payne
I live in the community and love it - fantastic area, convenient to everything, neighbors are great. The pricing they are offering you is better than when we bought a year ago (though we don't regret buying when we did). Hope this helps!
Jodi -

Centex was recently aquired by Pulte so between the two of them they will be one of, if not the largest home builders in the country. As Josh correctly stated, volume doesn't equal quality. In my experience, Centex has been an company that provides a decent product for a decent price - like ther tract builder they are not happy to deviate from their standard products; changes cost time and money and profit drives any business. I've sold many Centex detached and attached homes - I'd consider them average quality and a decent value for the money.

I've been appraising in Atlanta 15 years now and Brookhaven has a good overall market reputation. In all those years I've not seen any issues with values, junk loans, flips or adverse external influences - it's largely an uneventful area and that's what owners like. Good convenience, excellent appeal and excellent value retention.

Specific to Danbury, as you know it's closing out. The motivation to get off the project and the merger should allow for a decent purchase on remaining stock. Over the last year it appears units have been selling in the 300-325 range, current list prices are in the upper 200's.

From an appraisal and market trend viewpoint, the zip 30319 for condos/townhomes reveals interesting stats. Over the last four years the low point appears to have occured 11/08 and the high point 5/07....but the current stats show the same peak as the 5/09 high - that indicates a nice rise from 11/08.

For the submarket 200K-400K the low was also 11/08 and the high was 5/06 - but the current point of 05/09 is just a fraction under the high.

So it appears, statistically anyway, that we're in a rebound mode. This isn't unusual for spring bounces but the bounce is at or near the last five year peak. This is likely due to the incentives for buyers, low rates and slowly shrinking inventory.

So - more info than you probably need but this is how I approach working with clients. Having so many years of appraisal experience and such an array of data with the tools to properly apply it allows me to rip through and break things down.

Drop me a note if you'd like to see this - obviously I also use all of this to effectively negotiate for my clients...hope this helps.

Hank Miller, SRA, ABR
Associate Broker & Certified Appraiser
Prudential GA Realty
678-428-8276
Jodi,

I'm familiar with the complex and Centex. They built these a few years ago all the same plans. In Norcross, these started out to go as high as $330K! Then Centex sold the last few for as low as $230K.

Now Danbury, was even higher when they were building but now 280K. If it's toward the end of the development then Centex will "DEAL." Centex hasn't been building anything new for over 8 months, so they want this stuff GONE!!!

They are top 5 due to SIZE not quality.

2. Brookhaven? The reason they can charge so much is because of the area. The area is the appeal.

3. Schools don't tend to be a factor (FROM MY EXPERIENCE) intown. They do in the suburbs though.

4. If you are buying a townhome, then YES, but if you are open to buying a GREAT DEAL, then you can find better.
Joshua Jarvis, Real Estate Pro in Duluth, GA
Good Evening Jodi1617,

I am not familiar with this complex. However I do know of another complex that I believe would be excellent for you in same price range. Please give me a call at 678-427-5512 if you would like to know more about the complex.

Rick Payne