Home Buying in Queens>Question Details

DD, Home Buyer in 11427

Does anyone know anything about Dara Gardens?

Asked by DD, 11427 Sun Aug 17, 2008

Answers

7
I have looked to buy in Dara Gardens. The area is not so nice (sorry to say, because the units there are decent) ... It is located within walking distance to the housing projects, and is virtually removed from all forms of mass transit (except bus). On a positive note, it is a gated community - and has a 24-hour security guard (good and bad - increased safety, but also increased maintenance fees)...

It seems like a toss-up place, to me. Because I need to be close to subway/train, Dara Gardens wasn't good for me.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 19, 2008
Yes I Know
it A compound in 6 October near shutting club
the compound contain only Villa and town houses
different sizes
please contact me if you are interest about the compound
or any other place inEgypt
hope to hear from you soon
best regard
ali selim

aliselim@live.com
01000489405
I have an apartment here .... If I have to do it this buy .... Dara will be the last place that I will buy an apartment. Sales office be very careful what you are getting into it ???, Managements is very poor and lazy, if you buy for any reason check behind range and refrigerator you later on can get a lot of surprise and not talking about ceiling water damages, Board of directors ???? don't even think you will get one.
I have to admit that inside gardens are well maintained because is an outside company that do the work.
Just be very careful with the appearances of what you are getting into it
i lived in dara gardens from 1967 util 1979,what a shithole it was back in the day,it still looks the same.but now your gated monkeys.queens has turned into third world country.my apt was 150-11 72nd rd apt 4j.at least then you were able to park at any hour.and the area still looks the same.growing up there sucked,there was project trash two blocks away,the garden apts in the area were home too all sorts of misfits.would never move back to queens on a bet. THANK GOD FOR LONG ISLAND, THE NORTH SHORE IS QUITE,CLEAN,AND NOT A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY. MY $28,000+ per year taxes,make sure of that .AND TO HAVE LAND,2+ ACRES IS A WORLD AWAY,FROM LIVING ON TOP OF EACH OTHER. ENJOY DARA THE SHITHOLE IT WILL ALWAYS BE......................................................
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 7, 2010
May I ask how much you got Dara Gardens for? I saw a one bedroom in this building around 650 sq ft which also include a garage asking for $169K and condition of the floor and kitchen is not goood. It will need at least $6,000 in renovation. The owner said will only accept for $165K is that good or not? Maintenace is $720. Please let me know. Thanks!
Flag Mon Jan 6, 2014
Flag Mon Jan 6, 2014
I just moved there 2 months ago. The community profile is largely Asian & Jewish. The location is technically Flushing and NOT Kew Gardens as sometimes advertised. The Pomonok housing projects are a few blocks away but those are rumored to be the safest ones in Queens. The community profile is NOT the most affluent, but you get what you pay for. I wasn't willing to pay twice the price for my co-op simply to dwell and sleep among ritzy neighbors. Safety was a goal and I believe I succeeded to that end.

I renovated my apartment to my liking rather than buying a sponsor's unit. The maintenance is relatively cheap and the purchase price included a garage which was a huge + for me. Parking in the daytime (during business hours) is wide open but at night when getting home from work at around 10'ish it looks tough to find a spot.

There are a lot of college-bound folks in the community which I appreciate - Queens College is 4 blocks away and the youthful vibe of would-be professionals is a welcome site.

The superintendent and staff all seem friendly & supportive although I haven't requested their services thus far. The area is beautifully landscaped and the security guards on patrol are almost unnecessary if you ask me, but I guess some people feel safer with uniformed personnel trumpeting around the 8-building complex. They seem courteous & friendly but again, I haven't seen them be put to use just yet. The surveillance camera equipment is discreetly placed but well effective as a deterrent. To my understanding, the live feed is recorded and stored for some time.

As far as transportation is concerned, a huge selling point for me was that Dara Gardens is located near the Long Island Expressway which branches off into the Grand Central Parkway and the Van Wyck. I can get to the airport in about 10 minutes and into Astoria for a trendy night out in about 15. Flushing Meadows Park is a 5-minute drive (I love parks and that's the nicest one in NYC after Central Park). As with most residential areas in Queens, there is no train service immediately accessible, but a bus route runs right up the block.

As far as other amenities are concerned, I wish there were more local business besides the supermarket, McD's, and health food grocery store to choose from. There are 3 major banks within a 2-block radius and the Rite Aid is convenient. Other than that, your only choice for eating out is a Dominican restaurant that I have yet to try, a Chinese spot, a fried chicken spot, and Valentino's pizzeria. That's it unfortunately. I'm starting to cook in more to save $ but having options when eating out is nice when feeling lazy.

Can't comment on any of the other buildings in the complex but my neighbors are quiet and peaceful. I haven't had to go running to the board with any complaints. I'll be just fine for the next 5 years and still have money to save up for a big home in the future (which is my ultimate goal). All-in-all I'm a satisfied resident.
No, but I know some agents in Queens. If you'd like a referral to a buyer's agent in that area, email me directly - vchrisner@kw.com.