Peter Wong, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Does anyone know any details about BayCrest at 201 Harrison St? Any positive and negative aspect about this property? Thx!

Asked by Peter Wong, San Francisco, CA Mon Feb 1, 2010

Answers

4
Hey Peter,

Our office is 1 block away from Baycrest, there are some good deals out there, come by and I'll show you.
Web Reference: http://www.paulhwang.com
Hi Peter--BayCrest is not a bad building, but it's important to note that it has a lot of turnover. And there are currently at least four units in the preforeclosure stages, meaning property values in the building could stand to decrease amidst foreclosure sales (though it doesn't necessarily mean all four units will be sold off). And four units within a 268-unit building don't exactly add up to catastrophe.

Eleven units have sold in BayCrest since Jan 2009, at an average of $412,091. So it's one of the few buildings where you can purchase a two-bedroom condo in the $500,000-$600,000 range in a location that's close to public transportation and restaurants. I like the proximity to the Embarcadero, too. I am not aware of any HOA litigation or major issues with the building.

One issue that may come up with lenders is the amount of owner-occupied vs rented units, as Baycrest tends to have a lot of corporate rentals in its inventory. As for amenities, you have a pool, weight room/fitness center, and 24-hr security.
Web Reference: http://insidesfre.com
Yes, I own property there and am renting out my unit.

Awesome location. Walk to BART, Ferry Building, Embarcadero Center and/or work depending where you work.

You are close to the freeway which is a definite plus.

Just be aware that your parking spot is small...The building is pretty quiet. Workout room is decent. People only use the pool about 2 times out of the year. It is an older building, but the location is excellent. A negative is that it is not a true neighborhood. If you want to pick up groceries or food quickly, you will not find it here.

IF your unit faces Harrison, get used to the traffic noise and MUNI buses..also if bridge construction is on..it kinda sucks, but I got used to it.
Peter,

I do know a fair amount about the building as we have represented buyers for that property. If you have specific information requests my contact info is below, but in the meanwhile:

It has the same drawbacks of other large unit buildings - higher HOA's, more difficulty on resale, and the units in this building definitely run on the small size. Also, depending on the location of the unit there can be a lot of bridge noise.

On the up side, it has concierge service, a pool, a small gym, a racquetball court, parking, and is in a great location.

If you want a list of available properties at this location (or others):

Lance King/Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425

Best of Luck...