Home Buying in Radnor>Question Details

Sallan, Home Buyer in Radnor, PA

Does anyone know about what it will cost to completely gut and remodel a kitchen that is 10 by 20 feet. I am considering buying a home that has a 50

Asked by Sallan, Radnor, PA Tue Feb 2, 2010

year old kitchen. Everything needs to go and start over. I would just like an idea of what it will cost to tear out what is there which is one wall of cabinets and then put in new sink, all new cabinets and move the sink to the other side of the kitchen. I can price the appliances separately. I just need to know construction estimates.

Answers

11
Kelly Hudson’s answer
I grew up in the kitchen and bath industry. My father founded Amishland Cabinets and we still have great connections to the cabinet maker.
Don't be afraid to get a contractor in the house with you to go back for another showing. I am sure the listing agent/sellers would welcome that sort of showing.
It's hard to throw around what a contractor would do. I have a few that I would use if you need names.

My husband and his family are "Joannehudson.com" the largest (high end) kitchen, tile and bath business on the east coast. So I know real estate and I know kitchens.

Take care and good luck. You can always go to Lowes or Home Depot too to price it out.
It's the nature of the business to get bids and hopefully win or lose them.
Depends on the choices you desire for you renovation. There is a low, middle and high end selections. It is perhaps best to decided on a budget amount first.
Sallen & Trulia Readers,

I just wanted to follow up with my previous post. If anyone is looking to remodel a kitchen, rather than sitting down with a Home Depot or a Lowes, I have an excellent company who specializes in cabinetry who will be able to assist you with your kitchen remodel from a material standpoint. The company does have over 40 years worth of experience, and they're local! Just contact me for more information.

Tyler J. Morrison
Real Estate. Swimming Pools. Investments.
24/7: (484) 533-7111
tmorrison@tylerjmorrison.com

Gunite Specialists, Inc.
GSI Pool Finishes, Inc.
US Spaces, Inc.
Sallan,

Having been in construction since age twelve, real estate since age twenty, and real estate development since age twenty-one, I would be more than happy to help you out with your kitchen remodel and answer any questions that you may have.

Shoot me an email, phone call, or text and we can discuss more regarding your project. Like I said, I'd be more than happy to help - construction is in my blood; just check my hands!

Tyler J. Morrison
24/7: (484) 533-7111
tmorrison@tylerjmorrison.com
http://www.tylerjmorrison.com

Gunite Specialists, Inc.
GSI Pool Finishes, Inc.
US Spaces, Inc.
A lot of great answers here. First, congratulations on your decision to in Radnor, PA as its a great place to live. Combining a few points already brought up I have a few thoughts. The age of the home, what you value in a kitchen that is not there already and permits/no permits will define construction costs.

To get to the point; excluding appliances and materials costs you should expect a low estimate of a few thousand to a high of $4k just for demolition and basic install. However there is a lot of wiggle room here because there are many factors for them to charge extra as they go along.

If you haven't had the home inspection yet (a must have for a 50 yr old home), get them to give you their analysis of what it will cost to get it up to code and then to do what changes you want and what permits you might need. If you havent settled on the price this report could help you get more out of the seller in concessions. Get a few estimates, check licenses with the state and wish you all the best in your Radnor Real Estate purchase and becoming a Radnor home owner!
I would be happy to have my contractor look at the house with you to give you an estimate. Are you buying this house on your own or are you represented by a real estate agent? If you were my client, I would have gotten you an estimate already!
To elaborate on my previous answer, the budget numbers I mentioned did include appliances, usually $5,000-8,000 for good stainless steel appliances. Double wall ovens and good a good vent hood take it to the top of that range.
When trying to calculate the costs, don't forget that a 50 year old kitchen will probably need electrical updates to bring it up to code. You may want to check with the municipality to see if you need a permit to move the sink. As previously mentioned, there are many variables here, different price ranges of cabinets, granite countertops or others, tile or wood floor. All these will affect your overall cost. What you should consider is the price range of the homes in the area. In the lower price range, a Home Depot or Lowe's kitchen might be fine, but if you are in a higher priced neighborhood, in order to retain the value for resale, you would want a higher grade cabinet, etc.
That's quite a big kitchen! I'm not a contractor, but I buy REOs and foreclosures and rehab them, so I've done a bunch of kitchens. Demolition shouldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars. It's everything else that costs a lot of money.

Depending upon the footprint of the kitchen and the quality of the cabinets, the cabinets will cost anywhere from about $10-20,000. If you want high quality, dove-tailed, quiet-close drawers, think $15,000 or more. I get my cabinets wholesale so they cost me about 30-40% less than that. I'll be happy to help you with that if you'd like. Moving plumbing can run up to a couple thousand dollars (or more) depending upon the difficulty of doing so. With regard to the countertops, formica is obviously the cheapest, but for solid surface you'll get the most bang for your buck if you shop around for granite. If you don't go too exotic, you should be able to have it installed for less than $60/square foot and perhaps as low as $45/SF. Quartz will run you a bit more. If you're adding flooring, that will be another couple thousand installed.

In a nutshell, when I know I have to do a nice, higher-end kitchen, I budget at least $20,000. If I have to move plumbing, add lighting, flooring, or anything else, I bump it up to $25-30,000, depending upon the size. Some people spend 10s of thousands more, but it's not necessary to get a very nice kitchen. I hope this helps. As I said, let me know if you want a good deal on cabinets. I'm also a loan officer, so if you need a purchase or construction loan, let me know.
Sallan,

I just calculated the cost of a total kitchen remodel about 5-6 months ago. The kitchen was about the same size and I did lean towards a modern style. It was about 12,000 without appliances, electric, and no demolition or moving around plumbing or gas nor did it include decorative hardware and kitchen sink. My estimate was also using a contract that we have a good relationship with so my labor costs may have been on the light side.

My suggestion is NOT to go by my estimate but to pop by your local Home Depot or Lowes and sit down with one of their kitchen people and crank out an estimate. They have software and a variety of cabinets as well as back splash tile, sinks, and hardware all available in one place. They will come out and measure as well as install.
In MA, even the home inspectors are not allow to give anyone an estimate. You need to find a license contractor to go in an get a real estimate. Many of them will give you a free estimate. Ask your realtor if he/she know someone.