Pat, Home Seller in Jax

Does anyone have opinions on Providence homes and /or Greenland Chase subdivision?

Asked by Pat, Jax Tue Mar 17, 2009

Looking at homes in this area and wondering if anyone knows anything about this builder or about the community. Any advice appreciated.

Answers

12
Dellcanon’s answer
I agree 100% with the post below. It is very unfortunate that a sizable investment like this be with a company with deplorable customer service. Also they blame a lot of inferior quality work on their subcontractors. That's because they hire the worst and buy inferior building materials. Unless you want to on your hands and knees cleaning paint splatter off floors, bathtubs and baseboards (places you simply won't see during a walk-through) and dealing with poor quality paint and drywall (hopefully nowhere else), don't buy a providence home. They will fight with you every chance they get and their standard answer to a service request is "no".
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 22, 2013
Providence will be really great to you until the day you sign paperwork. They will then try to stick it to you every minute of every day until your warranty runs out. They make up charges that you didn't know exist, try to change the price you agreed upon, vastly overcharge for design features and upgrades and refuse to allow you to change it yourself until you are in the home. They basically want you to have no input into the home you are building at any stage of the process, other than taking out your check book.

They don't work with you, show empathy or keep to any kind of schedule. And God help you if you need to enter a warranty claim. Their job is to say "No" and make you go away.

What a sad experience that the biggest purchase of my life was also from the most dishonest company I've ever dealt with. It really left a bad taste in my mouth.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 5, 2012
Would you be willing to talk offline. I had a similar issue with Providence but it has gotten to the point we are having issues with our house.
Flag Tue Feb 5, 2013
A warning to all that might be considering building with Providence homes. Never in my life have I ever dealt with a more incompetent company as this one. Be very diligent and ask for copies of everything if you do decide to build with them. They do not provide you with any information. They treat you like a child and don't want you to be involved in the building process. We are building a half million dollar home with them and made several changes to the standard floor plan. When we requested architectural drawings to look over and make sure we were all on the same page, they told us we would not receive them until construction started. I questioned them and said wouldn't that be too late to make changes? We never saw on paper the custom changes that we pre- paid for. Sure enough, the day they broke ground, we were emailed the architectural drawings and there were several mistakes. No problem for Providence. They would be so kind to fix everything at our expense! A thousand dollars here, another there. This was not the beginning of the nickle and diming they do! Beware! They even charged us extra for items that come standard in our floorplan. I had to go back and inform them that they owed us! Our sales person is a complete buffoon. Misquoting us on more than $15k, that had to come out of our pocket, not theirs. Even though it was their mistake. And the design center representative really only cares about the work she does for the models. She won't answer anything for you. She just doesn't want to go the extra mile for a customer. She plays stupid until you stop asking or go elsewhere. When it comes to customer service- forget it! It doesn't exist with this company. I would never recommend anyone building with this company. It has been a huge nightmare from the very beginning and we would have walked long ago if we could have gotten our money back from them.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 4, 2011
Please stay away from Providence Homes if you want service. Read your contract carefully for little things like paper towel holder etc. Please pay attention to everything on that contract because they seemed to use "It's in your contract" a lot. Have a tape recorder to tape everything when you speak to your sales reps. Please be ready for a lot of hassle for little changes that you would like to make. There is a person in the office with VP of Operations title and he absolutely has to concept of customer service. The upper management did not even respond to our complaint. We have had absolutely horrible experience building house with these guys. Only positive part of the whole experience was our construction super named Rob. I will not recommend this builder to anyone if you want enjoy the experience of new home building. Please stay away from Providence Homes. Also notice that, al lthe agents have good things to say but the buyers disagreed!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 25, 2011
Never Buy from Providence Homes.
Really Bad Experience.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 20, 2010
Pat,
Maybe a less biased viewpoint from a buyer vice an agent. My family and I have recently returned to Jacksonville. After having looked around at the many houses on the market, we decided to build, hopefully avoiding having to make a lot of changes.
The staff at Greenland Chase is very friendly, however it took two days to convince them that we did not want anything larger than 2400 sq ft. When asked the size we were looking for, we told them 2200 to 2400. The first thing they showed us was over 2600 sq ft. Not a good start with me. Either they were not listening or they did not appreciate that we knew what we wanted.
We finally decided on a house that was a little more than 2300 sq ft. We did not see this house until the following week. Why they did not show it to us initially was beyond me.
When we sat down to discuss the contract, we had a few things we wanted in writing pertaining to inspections and quality of work. Their answer was that they do not make changes to the contract and that all of our concerns were not an issue and that many of our questions would also be answered at the design appointment. WRONG.
Many of the questions we had at the design appointment were beyond the knowledge of who we were meeting with. Questions like where the water enters the house, in the event you want to put in a water softner was one. Can we get a seperate meter for irrigation? Questions you would expect they could answer after having already built more than 200 homes in that area. Not to mention they were not able to give us prices on any of the large ticket items. Again, not the answer you would expect to receive after they have already built over more than 200 homes.
Providence had also agreed to have us do a "lot walk" prior to their clearing the lot. Although they agreed to this, they cleared without telling us.
Up to this point, we are not confident that that they can do anything outside of a cookie cutter home. I was hoping that I would not have to spend all my time following up on them, however, I can see myself having to stop at the home site daily during construction.
Best of Luck
David
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 27, 2009
Hello Pat,

This is a unique and great community. It is an ideal location for many. The builder has a style and approach that differs from most. The builder has many floor plans and looks to the front of the homes to offer variety throughout the community. They have no CDD fee and low HOA fees. New construction is one of my expertise. If I can help with this community or any community in NE Florida, please let me know.

Tobin Bossola
Vanguard GMAC Realty
(904) 910-8084
Web Reference: http://www.LiveJax.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 18, 2009
Carefully planned and masterfully built, Greenland Chase is developed by Providence Homes - one of Northeast Florida’s largest local homebuilders. Greenland Chase is a charming, family-friendly neighborhood with style, character, and a wonderful hometown feel. Greenland Chase is a unique community development that offers you, the homebuyer, a truly inviting and comfortable feel.

It is a neighborly, pedestrian-friendly community that takes pride in its stunning home designs from Providence Homes; a desirable locale nestled in Jacksonville's Mandarin area; and an amazing array of first-rate amenities. Extra wide sidewalks make it easy to stroll through the Greenland Chase community and meet all your new neighbors while towering pines and quiet streets offer natural and private surroundings.

Designed with active families in mind, Greenland Chase features many wide winding sidewalks, a family amenities center, and is bordered by a large city park. The amenities center includes a smimming pool with facilities, volleyball court, tennis court, basketball court and two large playfields.
For anyone still interested in finding out information about Greenland Chase: This is a very popular subdivision in a great location. Providence is a good quality builder, but I do strongly encourage anyone buying a new home to get the help of a realtor so that all questions are answered and the purchase contract contains the safeguards you want and need as a home buyer. Even though new homes are built with inspections by the county to make sure they are up to code, things can be missed and you should have your own inspector protecting your interests all the way through the construction process and the home builder should allow this.

Dawn Spencer, Realtor
Magnolia Properties
904.608.0016
dspencerrealestate@comcast.net
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 22, 2009
I sold a Providence home last fall to a couple relocating to Fleming Island. We were all very happy with the quality of the construction and the helpfulness of the company. Providence is a locally-owned builder who enjoys a good reputation. I would definitely recommend them based on the quality product they built for the buyers we worked with.
Web Reference: http://teamalters.com
Pat,

CC is correct about the community, the biggest complaint is lot sizes however this may be what you are looking for. I also have not heard any complaint about this builder. If you like the area there is also Engle homes and Richmond homes that is building along the same road. Both are walking distance to Greenland Pines elementary and Mandarin high Schools. If you are also looking for resell homes there are plenty to choose from in the same areas.......Feel free to contact me and I can provide you with a free search to the local MLS.

David Ott
904-318-5121
http://www.DavidOttHomes.com
ott2buy@comcast.net
I can tell you I have always had a good experience with Providence. The homes in Greenland Chase are very nice. The biggest complaint is lot size in this community. There is still new construction here, but do not discount the resell homes. There are currently 20 listings for sale ( some new) and a few are short sales. It is always good to google providence homes and you will see any blogs that may come up for any complaints, but take it with a grain of salt.

CC Underwood