Home Buying in Reading>Question Details

M, Home Buyer in Massachusetts

Does anyone have an opinion about raising a family in Reading vs. Wakefield?

Asked by M, Massachusetts Sat Feb 6, 2010

Answers

9
As a public high school teacher (in Arlington) and a resident of Reading, there is no competition when it comes to education. Reading wins hands down. Reading ranked 46 out of 287 districts in English MCAS and ranked 63 in Math MCAS. Wakefield ranked 85 and 102 respectively (google MCAS scores, boston.com). I do agree that Wakefield is a really nice town with great amenities and a wonderful town center, but it's school system simply isn't as strong as Reading. If sports are important to you, again, it is a no-brainer. Reading consistently competes on a very competitive level.

I have been living in Reading for two years and I love it. Whenever I have any kind of problem, I call the town and they take care of it. The town officials are friendly, responsive, and responsible.

Good luck in your home search!

kedori@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 10, 2010
Hi .. I do not know if you are still accessing this forum. If so, can you tell me if Reading school has it's bus routes published in any web site ? I can find the school bus route for most schools in their web site but could not find for Reading .
Flag Tue Feb 18, 2014
These are both great communities. Having grown up in Reading, with close family in Wakefield, I will say it is a matter of personal preference, and encourage you to look at both information available online about matters that are important to you, as well as personally visit each town and explore. Doing so with someone from the area (not necessarily a Realtor) would be particularly valuable.
I live in Reading with my family, it is great, both areas are wonderful, the best way to get an idea is to visit the area in different times of the day, morning, afternoon, evening or night. also weekends. and you will meets more people and explore more about the area. and you can see if theses areas will match your life style or not. you can also search online there are lots of websites. for example: citydata.com
since the weather id getting better you can also take a walk in both areas.

Maha Hanania
Agent
Boardwalk real estate
main st. Reading, MA
m.hanania@comcast.net
617-407-9830
You honestly can't go wrong in either place! They're both lovely communities. Spend time in both towns, exploring the areas, viewing properties, and meeting people.
The answer is very subjective. What are you looking for in a community?

I have helped home owners buy in both communities and they are all happy with their choices. You can buy more house in Wakefield for the same money you would spend in Reading. Reading is known to be a better school system from the standpoint of MCAS scores.

Both town are of a similar commutability and are so close to each other have the same access to Boston, beaches, etc.....

A good buyers agent can help make a list of whats important to you and pick the community that is right for you. Again the answer is so subjective.
Web Reference: http://www.thehousewiz.com
As a home buyer... I decided to buy in Wakefield over Reading. I can't say enough good things about this town! :) As a real estate agent, I have seen better values in Wakefield (more house for your money) but there are always exceptions. Please let me know if I can help you search for properties. As a buyer's agent, I work for you and my help is no cost to you!
Hello Morgan- Both are pretty comparable; not sure of what you are looking for really though... what is important to you?
This is a great site about data/info about every town out there-
http://www.city-data.com/city/Wakefield-Massachusetts.html (unbiased...)
There is also a great school ranking/ comments site I could give you on that end.

I'm going to say the Reading has a feel of being slightly less "urban"- but not so much. I think it really is similar.

If I can be of any help, with potential financing or anything else, please let me know. Thanks, and good luck,
Ken L.
Yu can succesfully raise a family anywhere in the world. The question really becomes what are you looking for in a home and a community.
Web Reference: http://www.mdmrealtyinc.com
Personally, I think it is a toss up. Although I will say everyone that I know that grew up in Reading...tries very hard to stay in Reading.