Home Buying in Orange County>Question Details

John, Renter in 11418

Does anybody have experience dealing with VA Loans?

Asked by John, 11418 Tue Jan 1, 2013

I plan on buying a home in Orange County, NY this year (2013) and I am a Veteran (USMC Semper). I would only like to put 10% down. If VA Loans have rates that are on par to a Conventional Mortage I would like to go the VA route since there is no PMI.

Answers

6
That's a great point John and definitely the reason I would put 10% down instead of 20%. The thing is, property taxes on homes in Orange County, NY are $6,000-$10,000 a year. So to keep my PITI payments more manageable that extra $100+- per month makes a difference. I appreciate your input. Definitely something to think about if I find a home on the lower end of my price range. (Which happens to be about $250k-$300k so your example was right on).
Hi John,
Getting a VA loan is a smart idea for anyone who is eligible. Have you talked to a lender who does VA loans yet. I've lived in the area for over 40 years so if you have any questions please feel free to ask.
William SMith
914-420-1974
WSmith1213@optonline.net
http://www.RealEstateInOrangeCountyNY.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 4, 2013
Well John, you sound like you're like you're on the track. That fellow, Tom Gildea who answered first is a good man to call for mortgage assistance.
If you need a REALTOR to help you in your home search and you're not already working with someone, call me on my cell:914-805-9053, I'd be happy to help.I've been in Orange County for 35 years,originally from Brooklyn & Queens, and I've worked with a lot of military and gov't. personnel.
Thank you for your service,Good Luck and happy New Year.
Bob Rullo
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 1, 2013
Hi John,

I have been originating VA loans for over 10 years. I can help you. I can talk late this afternoon or this evening if you would like. I live in Orange County.

Tom Gildea
Hudson United Mortgage
914-213-3892
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 1, 2013
The VA loan will give you a lower rate plus no PMI. The rates on government loans (VA, FHA & USDA) have been lower than conventional rates or several years. Let's talk on Wednesday.

Tom Gildea
Thanks, but I was wondering how much sense it would make rate-wise. I was a loan officer too for about 4 years, but never did a VA Loan deal. From what I read online the rates are supposed to be competitive with a Conventional Mortgage. My mid FICO score is 700. Would getting 90% financing through a VA Loan with my credit score be worth a slightly higher rate and NOT paying PMI or going conventional and paying PMI??