Home Buying in Manahawkin>Question Details

Dan, Home Buyer in Alabama

Does any American have an opinion on the "Tent City of New Jersey"? How large is this tent city in Jersey? Is it growing? Are there?

Asked by Dan, Alabama Tue Aug 2, 2011

others? The Tent City of New Jersey: Desperate victims of the economic slump forced to live in makeshift homes in forest

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2021173/Americas-cit…

Answers

9
That's possible, but it's likely you can't generalize about each individual. Each story I'm sure is different...you know the saying ... walk a mile in my shoes.
It makes no sense to me, it's like they just gave up."

Maybe they wanted to drop out of our debt based society as in stop contributing to it altogether?

Much of the little those living in Lakewood's Tent City have is due to the efforts of Pastor Steve.

If you are interested in donating directly to the Tent City you can contact Rev. Steve Brigham of the Lakewood Outreach Ministry Church at (732) 364- 0340 or (732) 814-5537.

There is also a post office box at Lakewood Outreach Ministry Church, P.O. Box 326, Lakewood 08701

Laura Giannotta
Kellery Williams Realty-Atlantic Shore
How can people lose everything and be reduced to this. It makes no sense to me, it's like they just gave up.
Web Reference: http://www.sjrates.com
Very interesting, this is a part of NJ that I didn't realize existed. What do you know!

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
Lakewood has the largest in Ocean County, but there are some living in the pines outside of Manahawkin. Some have said it's a lifestyle choice, and they might be right. However, back in the 70's when the legislature decided to mainstream many individuals housed in institutions, they never provided the necessary funding to prepare them for day to day life.

Laura Giannotta
Lifestyle choice? So these are all Thoreu's ?
This Tent city is in lakewood over 30 miles from Manahawkin. This community and others like it have existed on and off in that area long before the current "economic slump" it is a life style choice for most of those in the camp. Currently with we have seen an increase in the number of waterfront second homes sold over last year, real estate is local and what you read about one area may have nothing to do with another.