Home Buying in San Antonio>Question Details

Trulia San A…, Home Buyer in San Antonio, TX

Does an older home have more value than a newer home in San Antonio?

Asked by Trulia San Antonio, San Antonio, TX Sat Mar 23, 2013

Answers

5
Joel Thimpson is very correct
There are a lot of factors to consider when placing value on the home. Unfortunately in our business the value of the home is based solely on what other homes that are similar have sold in that area in the last 6 months. There are small adjustments made for modernization of appliance and fixtures however, keep in mind it is never a good idea to OVER IMPROVE a home that you are planning to sale. Unfortunately if you over improve the home you are traditionally not gonna get your full investment in return. Hope this helps you.
If you are not going to be somewhere more then 2 yrs then older is better they sell for more, less competition with builders and other neighbors, less for sell in more establish neighborhoods lower inventory. But more projects even when updated on older homes.
Too subjective of a question to get a real answer.

Me, I'm a sucker for the older homes. Give me something built in the early 1900s that has been updated but still has the old school coolness to it.. and you got me!

But, there are some brand new homes that knocked my socks off as well.. It's going to have to come down to what each person really likes. What is more their style...

A home built in 1920 that is worth $500,000 is worth the same as a brand new home that is worth $500,000... ;) Either way, it's all about what you love in a home.

There are pros and cons both ways on Old Vs. New.

Jason
Yes in an established desirable neighborhood it does