Home Buying in San Antonio>Question Details

Trulia San A…, Home Buyer in San Antonio, TX

Does an older home have more value than a newer home in San Antonio?

Asked by Trulia San Antonio, San Antonio, TX Sat Mar 23, 2013

Answers

9
Gregory Touchstone’s answer
That all depends on the surrounding influences of the home. There are parts of San Antonio such as the King William District and Alamo Heights and MonteVista that have many older homes that are more valuable than newer homes due to proximity to downtown, public parks, college campuses, and even school districts.

The home would also have to have been well kept throughout the years without evidence of foundation issues, termite infestation, wood rot and many other things.

Does this help ? ? ? Any other questions?

If you need something more specific, feel free to contact me with more details and I will gladly give some of my time to you.

Gregory Touchstone
210-660-2834
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 23, 2013
Too subjective of a question to get a real answer.

Me, I'm a sucker for the older homes. Give me something built in the early 1900s that has been updated but still has the old school coolness to it.. and you got me!

But, there are some brand new homes that knocked my socks off as well.. It's going to have to come down to what each person really likes. What is more their style...

A home built in 1920 that is worth $500,000 is worth the same as a brand new home that is worth $500,000... ;) Either way, it's all about what you love in a home.

There are pros and cons both ways on Old Vs. New.

Jason
It very much depends on the house. Neighborhoods hold their value here so in many cases the answer is yes, but the answer is in the details. I would be happy to have this conversation at length. There are many wonderful established areas that you will not want to overlook!

Terri Russo, Realtor
Home Team of America
210-385-0305
That is a loaded question. It depends on the area, the builder and if the older home has been updated. There are many areas which hold their value no matter how old the homes may be.
The value of a home is based on so many, many considerations other than age. Please work with your Realtor in helping you understand how to evaluate the differences, she can assist you in working with numbers to help you establish the financial values of new verses pre-owned. Esthetic values are applied from a personal stand point - you may want to select your own landscaping or prefer it already in place; it may be important for you to be in an established neighborhood rather than risk and "unknown" new subdivision; newer construction may offer cutting edge appliances while pre-owned may proven technologies.
You are the boss, you get to choose what is important for your pocetbook and your lifestyle.

Best of luck! Please let me know if I can be of further help, I would love to help you find a home!

Sue
I personally don't have a good answer to your question. Lots of variables: Where is the home located including what school district, has the older home been taken care of and has it been updated? Here is a very simple example: I purchased a home a few years back in which the previous owner put in over $ 50,000 in landscaping. Had I purchased a new builders home, I would have normally received the builder putting grass in place and a couple of small plants. These are very general statements but I think you can see what I mean.

Royce Simmonds, Broiker-Owner, Simmonds Real Estate Inc. Schertz
(210) 269-8086 Direct Line

Visit: http://www.roycerealestate.com for real estate info and homes for sale

36 Years Air Force Active Service (15 Enlisted-21 Officer)
A GENERAL answer I give buyers with similar questions is:
If you are planning on being in a home for only a couple years, buying in a subdivision where they are still building new homes can make recapturing value in your home in the short term a challenge b/c you will be selling your home in a subdivision where buyers can get a new home for the same price or less.
If you intend to only be in the home a short time, buying in an established neighborhood make return more value, b/c you are not competing with brand new homes in the market.
This is a general rule and exceptions certainly apply ... "value" can be found in nearly all ages of homes. Remember, you can make money when you buy a home than when you sell it, if you get the drift.
Several factors determine home value if you would like, I can do a free CMA to help you determine the value of the properties you're considering.

Feel free to contact me at (210) 858-7899 or email me at jw@sahomestx.com and I can assist you.

Johnny E Williams
http://www.SAHomesTX.com
That question can't be answered without more details. We have wonderful historic homes that are extremely valuable, we have beautiful older homes that are on large lots that are extremely valuable, and we have brand new homes that are extremely valuable because of their style, amenities, lot, view, etc. So the answer is, "it depends". Remember, "location, location, location" still means a lot.