Carolyn, Home Buyer in 62001

Does a seller have to allow for safety issues to be fixed if we are in a contract and paid for an inspection?

Asked by Carolyn, 62001 Thu Aug 27, 2009

My boyfriend and I are first time home buyers. We have a contract to buy a house and have already paid for the inspection. There are several electrical safety issues that did not pass inspection and need to be fixed in the house before it can pass for our loan. Now the seller is not allowing us to have someone come in the house to fix them. He has the house listed through a realtor. Can he do this?

Answers

2
Correction to my response it should read: You can not do repairs before closing because you don't own the house until you close on it. Good Luck
Typically it is the seller's responsibility to have these issues fixed by the close date or if he doesn't want to do repairs an estimate for repairs needs to issued and in lieu of repairs the buyer receives that amount at closing. The repair amount in lieu of actuall repairs usually is applied to the buyers closing cost. Do you have a Realtor or propose this to the seller. You really can have these repaired by your electrician prior to closing because you do not own the house as of yet. Good Lucj