Home Buying in York>Question Details

Lookingtomove, Home Buyer in York, ME

Does a pool add value to a home? I've been looking at homes and it seems that the houses are over priced because of the backyard.

Asked by Lookingtomove, York, ME Mon Aug 30, 2010

0 votes Share Flag Home Buying in York

Answers

3
Margaret Mitchell’s answer
Hi Looking, Pools may add some value to the price of a home, with the operative words being may and some. Generally, you do not recover the cost of a pool in resale value. Further, it eliminates many buyers who for various reasons do not want a pool. So pools are a good investment only for those who plan to stay in the home and enjoy the pool themselves for some years.

A well landscaped yard does add value. "Curb appeal" is the first impression on a home and it does affect price.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 30, 2010
As a rule, I attribute no value to a pool because some buyers want them and some don't and those who don't want them are often adamant about it. An exception to this would be that high-end homes probably actually benefit from having a pool....It seems that the more a buyer pays, the more he/she expects regarding amenities.
A pool adds value for a buyer looking for a home with a pool!!

It takes away value for a buyer who doesn't want a pool.

I have had buyers tell me not to show them homes with pools, but have never had a buyer tell me to ONLY show them homes WITH pools.

Appraisers will add some small amount to the assessment of the home with a pool, but nothing even close to the cost of adding the pool.
Depending on the lushness and design of the backyard landscaping, some increased value may also be added.

Perhaps the homes you are looking at are simply overpriced - pool or no pool!