Home Buying in Brooklyn>Question Details

Lynne, Home Buyer in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn...

Does a house need a Certificate of Occupancy?

Asked by Lynne, Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, NY Mon May 2, 2011

I'm in a "bidding war" for a house and in recent paperwork I noticed ther is no Certificate Of Occupancy. I have a friend who had a terrible time selling her condo because there wasn't a C of O but how does this impact a house? The house is marketed as "a legal 3 family" but we would only rent out the garden apartment and live in the rest of the house. Before I go any further in this "bidding war", I waned to get more infor. (And what happened to the buyers market? But that is a question for another day)

Answers

2
I'm not sure if your attorney would let you purchase a house without a proper C of O. Have your broker contact a Title company and have it checked. They can file for one, give you an estimate time and your closing can be contingent on aquiring a proper C of O.
What is your agent advising....yes c/o's are necessary...for any additional information needed, do contact the building's department, see link below.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/html/contact/contact.shtml