Home Buying in Collierville>Question Details

Azee, Home Buyer in Collierville, TN

Does a house built in early 1990's have bad wirirng compared to late 1990's or early 2000.?

Asked by Azee, Collierville, TN Tue Mar 29, 2011

Answers

6
Jo Shaner’s answer
Hi Azee,

I tend to agree with Steve -your biggest worry is with DIYers without permits or code knowledge. The scary electrical problems were related to the houses of the '70's when aluminum wiring was prevalent.

Jo Shaner
There is little or no difference in the electrical wiring during those years. Your only concern would be if the specific home you were interested in had any owner completed projects (i.e. finished rooms) that were not permitted by code enforcement. I have lived in Collierville since 1998 and the only overriding issues have been in plumbing, not electrical.
Thank you for your question. I would recommend that you ask a home inspector or electrician in regards to the life of wiring. Thanks again.
Web Reference: http://homeanalyzers.com
Web Reference: http://homeanalyzers.com
The only issue with the wiring in modern homes is the use of aluminum wiring which ended in the 1970s.

Whether a specific home has had proper (and inspected) electrical work done since being built is another matter. But there shouldn't be any difference between homes built in the 1990s versus the early 2000.
You would have to ask an electrician this question. Every home is unique and was built for that time period. You could, also, check with the town hall. Permits had to be taken out when the house was built, so the town would have a record of it.