J.M.Jones -…, Real Estate Pro in Massachusetts

Does a home in Ma built in 1700 need to have heat in the bedrooms if sold today - none of the 4 bedroom home has heat just one big radiator in hall?

Asked by J.M.Jones - 978-335-9092 - Homes & Rentals, Massachusetts Sun Apr 18, 2010

Answers

4
The building dept is closed and tomorrow is a holiday - so who knowsn the exacts with details - I think they need to be heated if FHA - Anyone know for sure....?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 18, 2010
Hi there- I am a builder and licensed mortgage officer. Generally, I think you may have some trouble with the FHA appraisal with this.
I would think it is well worth maybe $1000 total to add a 6 foot electric baseboard strip on its own T-stat in each BR. May need it for financing, but in any event any good buyer's home inspector or even the buyer themselves would question this anyhow. Its not a great system or condition for the potential buyer.
If you need anything, please let me know. Good luck,
Ken L.
These rooms may need to have heat in order to be called bedrooms.If this is a two story home , It may be possible to put in floor vents for heat to rise up from rooms on the first floor. If the electrical system is upgraded, you could put in electric baseboard or European electric radiators that do not take up much room.
Hi there
If the 1700 circa home has not had any renovations in the last 40 years then no they do not have to have heat in the bedrooms
Key is renovation. If renovated needs heat..