Tina, Home Buyer in Warminster, PA

Does a buyers agent need to attend the home inspection in Bucks County PA? If not, should the seller's agent be there?

Asked by Tina, Warminster, PA Mon Jan 21, 2013

Answers

11
Regardless of the situation...put yourself in the shoes of your customer, what level of service do you think they would want and deserve?

I think you know the answer!

I agree. We should provide good customer service to our clients. We should follow the golden rule.
Flag Sat Jan 25, 2014
I always attend the home inspection with my buyer clients. I also attend the inspection for my seller clients. This way I can understand the items mentioned in the inspection better . For buyers I go and meet the inspector and let them in. .
I was at an inspection where the inspector could not locate entryway into crawl space. I called the listing agent who called the seller and we found out it was through a closet.
Hello Tina,

It is always a good idea for the buyers agent to be there, it is NOT necessary for the sellers agent to be there.

Marta M. Rosario
Charles Rutenberg Realty/Agent
http://www.imsellingflorida.com
407-232-4333
As Tim suggested though, neither NEEDS to be there, but for me I like to go regardless. Buyer or seller agent, I like being present on all aspects
The buyers agent should be the one whom attends the inspection. However, I have been present for the buyers agent before in instances where the buyers agent cannot make it.
As a buyers agent I attend home inspections for my client. As a sellers agent I do not unless there is other reasons to attend. That is a buyer function not a seller function. When the inspection is done a report is made to the seller. Any questions the seller has can be addressed at that time.
Hello Tina,

If the agent were mine I would request having them there.

Alan Openshaw
Cornerstone Lending Inc
Southampton Pa 18966
215 953 0800
cell 267 992 7276
VOTED BEST IN BUCKS 2010 & 2012
NMLS ID 143960
I think the home inspection is a conversational orientation to the house systems and important if possible to have the buyer present. Where's the water shutoff, how you change the filter in the furnace, live with a septic field, etc. Also I as a buyer agent would be present to participate and observe the seriousness of the inspection item. The seller and listing should not be there, because the buyer has a right to privacy with the inspector. At least that is how we do things in Illinois. Best of luck
Hi Tina,

No, neither the buyer or seller agents NEED to be there, but if the buyer wants their agent there, they will usually agree...it's optional. Same with the seller's agent...not usually there unless the seller requests.
Am I right to assume that the inspector is bonded should there be any damage or loss of items during the inspection?
Flag Mon Jan 21, 2013
Typically the buyer's agent will attend the inspection with the buyer. The inspector will need access to the home, so they will need an agent or the owners to let them in. As a buyer, you typically don't want the sellers or their agent to be present for the inspection, as a lot will be revealed about the property that is really for the buyer's knowledge. Having either of them there could potentially cause unneeded debates and tension. If there are items of concern that you then request repairs or credits on, you don't want the sellers to know every little minute detail of the inspection.

Also, a buyer's agent should be present so that they can hear all of the details first hand from the inspector, and ask any questions they see fit. That way, when you do go back to the sellers with requests, your agent knows everything they need to.
I am of the opinion that no one needs to be at a home inspection but the inspector. The inspector does their thing and writes up a big report with color pictures and suggestions. Being there just makes the inspection take longer than normal which can be 3-4 hours. If a buyer wants to be there, ok but I would not want the seller or the sellers agent to be there as that can make the inspection less honest and open, or it can.