Home Buying in Los Angeles>Question Details

Joe Nernberg…, Real Estate Pro in Simi Valley, CA

Does a Bedroom Require a Closet?

Asked by Joe Nernberg (Amerispec), Simi Valley, CA Thu Mar 7, 2013

Cannot find anything in the building code that requires a closet for a sleeping/bed room. Is this an appraiser issue, real estate requirement?

Answers

34
Absolutely. A bedroom must have a door, a closet and egress (i.e a window to permit direct access to the outside in case of a fire. Can you use a room without a closet as a bedroom, sure you can. however if a room without all of the above is being represented as a bedroom then this is a misrepresentation.
Exactly. It wouldn't be hard to put a closet into that room, though. It would be well-worth the added value to your home. The way it is now, you can't list the room as a bedroom. I'd recommend adding a closet.
Jenn | http://www.stccloset.com
Flag Sat Nov 22, 2014
Hi Joe,

I believe that a bedroom should technically have a closet and a window but in my experience, I have seen many homes on the market that count rooms without closets as bedrooms. There are also requirements regarding the size of the window for emergency exits so it would be best to check with the Department of Safety and Building: http://ladbs.org/LADBSWeb/public-home.jsf

Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Jamie Tian
Rodeo Realty
(310) 717-1321
JamieTian@RodeoRE.com
DRE #01920120
Web Reference: http://www.JamieTian.com
GReat response thanks for sharing. We find that all states have different requirements..
Flag Fri Mar 8, 2013
From a real estate perspective, most areas that we are familiar with require a bedroom to have a door for privacy, a window as a secondary means or egress, and a CLOSET. Additionally, for an area to be considered a bedroom, you may not pass through another bedroom to access another bedroom.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 19, 2013
More of a question for an appraiser. However, I was always under the impression it needs a closet and a window.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 13, 2013
Kat perhaps you didn't understand, the city had permitted the room as a bedroom, and it did not have a closet. Now a garage is not a sleeping quarters...it is permitted as a garage.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 13, 2013
I believe a bedroom should have a closet. A closet is basically a small room or a chamber used for storage. I personally feel a bedroom without a closet would be incomplete.

Therefore, a closet is required in a bedroom.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 11, 2013
Wow. Very diverse answers from licensed real estate agents. This question is posted in the "Home Buying in Los Angeles" advice section. Local readers may wish to ignore out-of-state advice.

Great answers from Dorene, Don, Ron, Madelaine and Cindy. I love Realtors who know the standards. They are not vague or non-commit types. Good client representation.

Need a knowledgeable, thorough inspection with infrared technology?

http://www.amerispec.net/Home.aspx?LNU=40358
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 9, 2013
In Florida it has to have a closet to be considered a bedroom in the listing. But it doesn't mean someone can't use it as a bedroom if they want. It also has to have a window. If there was a fire someone in the bedroom needs a way out besides the door.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 8, 2013
In Michigan it is only a bedroom if you have a closet
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 8, 2013
In Pasadena, a room without a closet is not considered a bedroom.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 7, 2013

In the past my experience has found that you do need a closet, and have had to build one in the past, but you never know.

Planning and zoning in the city or county could tell you, and if a permit is needed or not.

AMERICSPEC IS A GREAT COMPANY

Best
Al Goldberg Broker
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 7, 2013
As a broker, I could tell you that I would never call it a bedroom if it did not have a closet.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 7, 2013
I agree on this!
Flag Tue Mar 19, 2013
In order for the department of building and safety to issue a certificate of occupancy (bedroom added) you need to comply with their rules and regulations. Depending on the city they may have different rules. My experience with city of LA - they do require a bedroom to have a closet.

Hope this will help you!

____________________ 
Help with Any Real Estate Transaction - Buy or Sell  

Call me 424-777-9377 -  FREE CONSULTATION!  

Should you have any questions - please feel free to call me Toll Free: 1-855-TRUST-55 (1-855-878-7855)  ext. 777. 

Sergey Fednov 
President - Realtor® 
- Trust Sale Realty - 
Residential & Commercial Real Estate 
_______________________________ 
Toll Free: 1-855-TRUST-55 
Toll Free: 1-855-878-7855 
Phone: 424-777-9377 
Fax: 310-356-4925 http://www.TrustSale.com  http://www.TrustSaleRealty.com 
- We Hire CA Licensed Real Estate Agents - 
Lic# 01896869 

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 7, 2013
It does not, and it is not an appraisal requirement... it can have a chest of drawers for example... or nothing at all... some cities have a minimum size requirement... The best thing is to pull the certificate of occupancy from the city and find out from there...

We usually do this for the people we list properties for whenever there is a question...

Best of luck!

Ron Escobar, MBA
Broker & General Contractor
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 7, 2013
As a Realtor I was always taught that a bedroom should have a closet but I have seen many homes and condos that call rooms bedrooms even though there's no closet.

In the end, what's a bedroom is in the eyes of the beholder!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 7, 2013
Are you building or doing a home addition, sir? It's a good idea to have one with each bedroom, and the bigger the closet the better. Without a closet, the room could be considered a den or office, and yes, a bonus room in the eyes of buyers. Of course, you want to make sure all the work is permitted by whatever city the property is located in.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 7, 2013
72 sq ft, closet, egress window these are the RULES!
IRC code 2012
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 7, 2013
A room must have a closet to be considered a bedroom.
Web Reference: http://Redbluerealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 7, 2013
frrom what I understand, if a room doesnt have a closet it is not counted as a bedroom, could be called a bonus room.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 7, 2013
No, a bedroom does not require a close.
For real estate purposes a closet is a plus but not required. In some areas the common practice is that the bedroom must have a closet. In other areas this is not the case.
Well... if they permitted it, then that is what it is.
Great thread and interesting answers. If I buy IKEA closets, how many bedrooms can I squeeze into a 1200 square foot home? Still nobody will offer a lawful reference to my question.
The only issue with adding an IKEA closet to a room without a closet to make it a bedroom, is that you have to revert to what is legally on file with the City and Building and Safety for the actual PERMITTED BEDROOM COUNT. If you are trying to convert a room without a closet to a bedroom, and this room is not in the Permitted bedroom count, you will need to get a permit to convert it to a legal bedroom. Check your Certificate Of Occupancy from Building and Safety to verify your legal bedroom count.
thanks joe, i just happened to do a market evaluation on a home that the tax records cleary had three bedrooms, So i was ready when i got there and the seller said she had done an addition and uses it for a office... The room (sleeping quarters per city) had no closet, and it was a walk through room.. Easy to through in a closet from IKEA... and sell as a bedroom.... Adds value.
Kawain is incorrect. Please provide a code or lawful reference to this comment. Thank you.
A TRUE bedroom must have a closet.

If the room does not have a closet, it can be considered a BONUS room but not a bedroom.

You can had a modular closet to the room, and it will become a bedroom.

Go to your local IKEA they have a selection of modular closets. You can also contact closet world or a similar company.

Best of luck to you!!!

Kawain Payne, Realtor

Thanks for the thumbs up.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Al Goldberg Broker
800-765-3609
The room without a closet is not a bedroom. If you but in a Chifferobe it becomes a bedroom.
As far as the "bedroom question" is concerned, I believe it is a common expectation that a bedroom should have a closet. Buyers expect a window, a door, and a closet in a bedroom, a room without these are called a den or bonus room.
In wholesale mortgage banking no room without a closet would be considered a bedroom. (That goes back to 1994 assessments).
I would not know what the building codes would say or if they address that issue but for marketing Real Estate, we are looking for a closet and a window.
Your best source of information is the Department of Building and Safety, Code Department, of your City
Usually Yes...and a window. You may want to check with your local Building and Safety Department for their regulations.

I have sold many homes where the tax records show a bedroom and or an addition and there is not a closet.. I would sell as a bedroom or an office option. But, to answer your question, usually when it is in the tax records it has been permitted...and yes, according to permitting a bedroom can be without a closet.
I would suggest you call the department of Building and safety for more accurate information, but to the best of my knowledge, a room with a closet is considered a "bedroom". A room without a closet is jut a "room"

Best