Home Buying in Carmel>Question Details

flavery_kind, Renter in Mokena, IL

Does Carmel embrace diversity? I am looking to move here in a year because of the great school district.

Asked by flavery_kind, Mokena, IL Sun Dec 9, 2012

Answers

6
Joe Shoemaker’s answer
Thanks for the question!

As a real estate broker, I am prohibited from *discriminating* on the basis of all sorts of things, not the least of which are race, national origin and sexual orientation. That does not prohibit me from sharing demographic data about an area and sharing my own personal experiences.

From Wikipedia: As of the census of 2010 the racial makeup of the city was 85.4% White, 3.0% African American, 0.2% Native American, 8.9% Asian, 0.00% Pacific Islander, 0.2% from other races, and 1.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.5% of the population.

Carmel, Indiana is a terrific community with wonderful neighborhoods and schools. It's also growing into a multi-racial and multi-ethnic community. When I lived in Carmel a few years ago, my neighborhood had 19 different races and ethnicities represented. It was quite a little melting pot and I loved it!

That being said, the city as a whole has a long way to go to be - in my estimation - fully-welcoming to all kinds of people. To use a specific example, the city commissioned a series of life-like sculptures for placement around the Arts & Design district. Without exception, all of the sculptures represent caucasian individuals. Not a single racial or ethnic minority is represented. Whether a conscious or unconscious choice on the part of the city, it certainly represents what's widely perceived as a bias on the part of many Carmel residents and city leaders.

I can also share my personal experience with my kids. My son played on a very racially - and economically - diverse soccer team which travelled all over the state. I can proudly say that when his team played in Carmel and Zionsville and Westfield and Noblesville that they were treated with the utmost respect and sportsmanship. I can't say the same thing for some other parts of the State, including some other affluent areas.

My perception is this: Carmel has a very high percentage of residents who are well-educated and worldly. With that comes a higher level of acceptance and tolerance of people of different backgrounds, races, ethnicities, etc.

Good luck in your search, and don't hesitate to ask me for help!

Joe Shoemaker
Principal Broker, REALTOR®
MacDuff Realty Group, LLC
317 413.8501
joe@joeshoe.com
http://www.facebook.com/joeshoe
http://twitter.com/#!/jojosmojo
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 10, 2012
Joe, that is the best and most diplomatic answer I have ever read and I applaud you for your honesty. Kudos.
Flag Sun Jan 20, 2013
Realtors cannot comment on Ethnic or Religious diversity:
It is called "STEERING" and we can get in trouble if we comment positively or negatively.

YOU have to be your own judge:
What you should be concerned with is you new neighborhood; you can perform your own survey and decide if you want to live there.
Please don't rely on other people's opinions.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012
Hello flavery_kind,

It's been 3/4's of a year since you asked your question. In that time
Carmel, IN has continued to grow in reputation and population.

My daughter graduated from Carmel schools. One of the factors
she loved about her education was the diversity of the student
body and that of her group of friends. I love Carmel schools because
my daughter and her friends challenged and aided one another's
academic achievements. They helped one another study. They traveled.
We even went to St. Petersburg, Russia where she performed with the
Carmel Orchestra.

About the statuary around downtown Carmel as mentioned by Joe: These
pieces are lifelike depictions of people in various poses. Their creator, J
Seward Johnson just happens to make them like he does. I believe he
based his designs first on members of his family. So, I kind of think of
them as depictions of the Johnson family hanging out around town, when
I think of them at all. Our Mayor Brainard likes them and they have
become a bit of a tourist attraction.

The only complaints I've heard about the statues are concerns with their
cost and that some people feel creeped out after realizing they've just
said good morning to a statue.

If you haven't chosen an agent with whom to work, I would love the
opportunity to help you find a home here.

Marita
Marita Topmiller
Assoc Broker
Prudential Indiana Realty Group
317.513.4652
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Olga, I don't really think I can improve in any way on Joe Shoemaker's response to your question. Personally, I feel I understand what you are referring to by stating "Does Carmel embrace diversity?" However, in many instances a little clarification may be needed by your realtor to make it perfectly clear of what you are looking for in this respect.

Just remember, Olga, that the best realtor you can get will be honest with you and not try to paint the community in a different light than what you are really looking for. Many realtors may tend to sing the praises of an area like Carmel simply because it is a highly afflulent and 'desirable' location - but that doesn't really necessarily mean that it would be the place for you. So, I truly suggest that you partner with an honest, up-front realtor - like Joe Shoemaker - who will be open to letting you experience other areas of the Indy Metro area that MAY be more of what you are looking for. The best fit for you and your new home will be accomplished by being honest and frank with your realtor so that they can truly know what type of neighborhood and community you would be happy living in.
Carmel, Indiana is known for its highly rated schools, innovatively planned downtown and business and family friendly atmosphere. These are the reasons why people from all over the country and the world move here. I'd be happy to help you relocate to this wonderful community that I call home.

Olga Imperial Keegan, Realtor
The Keegan Group
F.C. Tucker Company, Inc.
http://www.olgakeegan.com
Since I am thinking that you are referring to Carmel INDIANA I will tell you that YES the town, the school district, and all, DO embrace diversity. You can look at the school district on my website at http://www.CindyPeyton.com to view some of the stats for yourself. Your kids will get a GREAT education in an upscale community with many amenities in Carmel. Please give me a call at 317-319-5090 so that I can show you our town and help you find your perfect home! I am a specialist in Relocation Clients and will work to get you settled and happy in any community that you chose!
Cindy
317-319-5090
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012