Question Details

Ruthless, Other/Just Looking in 60558

Do you use *Selling Agent* to refer to the *Buyer's Agent* and not the *Seller's Agent*?

Asked by Ruthless, 60558 Mon Nov 12, 2007

Meaning that the *Seller's Agent* is the same as the *Listing Agent*

Answers

6
II don't know if you are addressing consumers or agents.

I know consumers tend to call the listing agents the selling agents, which, when you consider semantics, makes perfect sense.

As a Realtor, in every day lingo, I say:

Listing agent = represents seller.

Buyer's agent = represents buyer.

However, on the Illinois MLS, after a transaction is closed, there is a section to input the agents' information who handled each side of a transaction.

For the seller side it is: Listing Agent

For the buyer side it is: Selling Agent

Therefore, technically, a listing agent is considered to represent the seller and a selling agent is considered to represent the buyer.
Good reply!
Flag Wed Jun 3, 2015
Thanks, Ruth, I know you are referring to the other post that's a bit confusing.

In Califonia

A Selling agent is the Buyer's agent for that specific client

A Listing Agent is the Selelr's Agent for that specific client

I can be a listing agent for my clients A, list and sell his house because the kids are gone and they want to downsize.

However, A also needs a replacement property in town (he is downsizing), then when I help A find the replacement property, I am A's selling agent.

Note that these are for different properties.

Sylvia
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Marin, CA
In NY:

A selling agent is the agent who brought the buyer (sold the house), regardless of whom they represent. So the listing agent can be the selling agent also.

A SELLER'S agent is the SELLER'S agent.

A BUYER'S agent is the BUYER'S agent (works for the buyer, looks out for their best interest).

The selling agent can either be a subagent, broker's agent or the buyers agent.

Hey, yes, it's confusing. You should be been in my real estate agent class the morning we spent going over it. It took about 3 hours.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 12, 2007
Real Estate Language is full of that kind of stuff: All the crazy terms below were created before anyone practicing real estate today was ever born.

Fee Simple: Is this a simple fee that is charged? NO - It is a form of ownership

Ownership in severalty: Does it mean ownership is shared with others? No ..it means pretty much the opposite.

Tenancy in Common: Some kind of a lease? No... It is a form of ownership anongst two or more people.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 12, 2007
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
It is kind of an oxymoron lol. I guess I better be careful what I say, don't want you to think I am calling you names. Have a good night Ruth!
Thank you for responding. It's kind of like asking for directions and saying,
"So then I turn left?"
"Right"
"Do you mean I turn right or that I am correct?"

Although there is a difference here with ing vs er's, for people who make typos or don't listen well, it sounds so confusing.

Ruth
Web Reference: http://www.Oak-Park-IL.com
Ruthless, Other/Just Looking in 60558