Alexander Ba…, Real Estate Pro in Saint Helena, CA

Do you think there's an advantage to having an architect/broker represent you on real estate deals?

Asked by Alexander Barrett, Saint Helena, CA Fri Apr 19, 2013

Answers

7
I must take issue with some of the comments on this thread. FYI, I'm a RE broker, Manufactured Home Contractor and licensed Dealer and General Contractor. If anything having that much fire power is extremely relevant to just about every transaction I've been involved with.

There's nothing wrong with a RE professional knowing about and understanding construction and architecture. Frankly I'm called upon quite a bit because I have the aforementioned credintails and experience.

I think sometimes we need to think a bit more before we speak.
I'm sure there is AN advantage, and if you find yourself in that specific situation where it is an advantage, you'll be glad to have that person.
Why would an architect want to be a broker? Why would a broker want to be an architect? How could he/she be very successful in either profession?
I would prefer a kitchen designer/car salesman/Realtor;
But then, that's just me.
I don't know if the architect skills themselves make for a better Realtor. I agree with other comments that you should use a full-time Realtor who knows the markets, the inventory, and the other Realtors in town.
In my opinion, having a broker/agent respresent you as a seller is necessary. The many legally required disclosures in California along with how to properly complete them is a compelling reason all by itself. Having an expert who can gove advice on how to prepare the property for sale, market the property effectively and negotiate the sale is one of the many other reasons that having skillful representation is a benefit.

For a buyer it is just as important to have your own agent representing your interests. Their commission is customarily paid for by the seller and a good broker/agent will not only help you navigate the advantages and disadvantages of the properties available but also advise you on negotiation strategies, inspections, etc.

An architect is completely unrelated to brokering a real estate transaction, as they are involved in designing structures. If your question is could there be an advantage to having an architect who is also a real estate broker represent you I can't think of any advantage. In fact generally if a real estate broker is also actively involved in any other unrelated field of employment it is usually difficult them to exceed in real estate. I recommend a full time experienced real estate agent or broker.
Alexander,

If the choice is architect with a broker license versus a reputable, experienced agent/broker who is active in the business, I'd choose the active agent/broker every time. Having knowledge of construction and architecture is great, but you can get inspections for that and you can't replace market knowledge.

Lance R. King
Founder-Managing Broker

King Realty Group
Cell: 415.722.5549
Email: lance@king-realtygroup.com
License# 01384425