Home Buying in Hagerstown>Question Details

Yocasta, Home Buyer in Waynesboro, PA

Do you think that is better if I , like a first time home buyer, relocating in the maryland are buy an old house close to my job (40 @ 45 min.) or

Asked by Yocasta, Waynesboro, PA Tue Nov 3, 2009

buy a brand new one at one hour from my job... from Waynesboro,PA to New Market,MD?... I can deside...

Answers

5
Keep in mind that it is always easier to make a house into what you whant than to move a house to new location. If you are alright with an older or smaller house that is closer to your job, than most of the time that is your best option, but you will need to decide which is more important to you, a larger or newer house that is further away or a smaller or older house that is closer.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 3, 2009
Yocasta.......this is a question no one can answer for you, as it's a really personal one.

How long is your commute now? Some people don't mind a longer commute - do you??
. I will say, though, that deciding between a 45 minute commute and a 60 minute isn't that big of a difference, so perhaps you should concentrate on which kind of home appeals to you more.

Do you like the idea of an older home with charm, that you can fix up exactly the way you want....or does the idea of a new home seem more appealing? Does one neighborhood appeal to you more than the other? I'd buy the house you like more, as people change jobs...........more often than they change homes! Where might future jobs be located? Does price factor into this - is the newer home less or more expensive than the older one?
These are all questions you need to think about.......................and then I am sure you will come up with the best decision that works for you!

Good luck in your search.
Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 3, 2009
Sounds like you could use an agent to help you with this!! I am licensed in Md and Pa and could help you with the sale and purchase of a new home. Please give me a call, I would love to work with you!
Sharon Bremer 301-676-4031
It's always best to check both options but 1.5 hours commuting each day is going to be a burden and one you could soon grow tired of. I'd suggest checking all the homes within your price range and a close commute before pursuing further out options. Finding a great home local to your job means you'll be able to spend more time there than on the road and that is a HUGE plus! The homes "further out" are less expensive for a reason. It's also wise to compare real estate taxes in both areas as that can have a big impact on your monthly payment. Best of luck!
There is one more thing that I missed mentioning on my first post. Taxes need to be considered when making a home purchase decision. Make sure you know how much the taxes are before you make a ny final decision every $1,200 in taxes are an additional $100 per month on the mortgage payment. If you have any other questions or would like to discuss this further I can be reached at 888-762-1554.