Home Buying in San Diego>Question Details

Janet McCart…, Real Estate Pro in San Diego, CA

Do you think holding an Open House on a rainy weekend is a good idea? Buyers do you head out to see houses on a rainy weekend?

Asked by Janet McCarthy, San Diego, CA Sun Mar 18, 2012

Answers

15
Worked for me today! Blown down signs and I still got Buyers in. Booties were in the house so no tracking dirty shoes around. The Seller wanted the open house and the serious Buyers were out there.
Cme rain or come shine...the real buyers will be out like the postal service. You may only get one buyer, but dang it....they are serious about buying. Besides, what else are the agents going to do on a rainy day? If your choice to have a chance at selling a home or watching reruns of Friends, I'd say put on your rain gear and get after it!

Best of luck

Chris Schilling, ABR, CRS, GRI, GREEN
Broker-Founder
Turbo Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 18, 2012
Real buyers are always looking, no matter what the weather is like. Here in San Diego, we don't go out in the rain so it's a little different.
Flag Sun Mar 18, 2012
In the rental industry we sometimes do open houses, and if we had our choice we would cancel the rainy days open houses, but usually they have been advertised in advance, so we don't want to cancel last minute.
The reality is that rain tends to keep tenants away in San Diego so it is usually a bust.
Serious buyers will come out rain or shine, I held a house open this weekend and the traffic that came through were buyers. My biggest concern was whether my signs were going to hold up through all the wind and rain.
It did not do me any harm! I showed the property to over a dozen prospects and three Realtors brought their buyers to view the home.
Good for you. I'm surprised you got so much business. How many signs di you post?
Flag Sun Mar 18, 2012

An open house on a rainy weekend can be a good idea and here's why. People tend to get bored on rainy days and want to get out to escape 'cabin fever'. In San Diego it may be more of an issue since you don't get that much rain. But in Denver we have a young and active group of buyers who not only come out in rain; but on snowy days as well. Let us know how it works out in San Diego.

Robert McGuire ASR
Realtor/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
1776 S. Jackson St. #412
Denver CO 80210
Direct – 303-669-1246
http://rmcguire.yourcastle.org
I agree. Sometimes great weather is bad for business because buyers are out enjoying the day.
Flag Sun Mar 18, 2012
In Louisville, Ky, sunny days bring us the best open houses.
In my experience, a good number of people take their shoes off even when the sun is shining. I've had to refuse someone entry only once when a guy with mud up to his knees wanted to track through the house.

I don't have too many war stories to tell about open houses. I prefer to forget the guy who showed up with mud all over him and wanted to walk on the owner's clean carpet.

My main concern is getting the house shown to casual lookers, who might exchange information and even sign a guest book. Some people actually watch for open house signs in neighborhoods they like. I like meeting prospective buyers. Today was a good day. I'll have to encourage sellers to open up their houses based on what others are saying.

Thanks for sharing, everyone.
Good job handling Mr. Mud. I guess it's always good to have an Open House because it gives buyers an easy opportunity to see the house.
Flag Sun Mar 18, 2012
It depends. There is no hard stats to show buyers will not want to get out in the rain for an hour or so.

I've had rainy day open houses that have had visitors
I agree. It can be a good day and it can be a very slooow day.
Flag Sun Mar 18, 2012
Generally it is not the best idea to hold an Open House on a rainy weekend in San Diego as you will get less traffic depending upon the severity of the rain. If you do, plan ahead to prevent for potential damage to the flooring (tracked in water, mud etc..) . The bottom line is what is best for the marketing of the property. If there is urgency to get the home exposed, then it might be worth it.

Kind Regards,

Marcie Sands
Simply The Best Real Estate Co., Inc.
760-644-1562
I agree, usually an open house on a rainy weekend is a very slow day and a big job to handle signs in the rain and wind.
Flag Sun Mar 18, 2012
I would say yes. One of the best open houses I ever did was on a day with 16 inches of snow on the ground. Only one couple showed up and they ended up writing a contract that day. Was very cool to be able to call the Realtor and tell her we had a buyer. Was one of my best because it was a 100% conversion lol. What about buying some cheap umbrellas and walking them to their car afterwords?
you should have purchased a lottery ticket that day too!
Flag Sun Mar 18, 2012
I showed some properties today and there were others out there looking, even in the rain. The properties that are priced right are getting viewings. There's a shortage of affordable housing on the market now so take advantage. So price it right and do those open houses!

Mary Chan & Associates Real Estate
I decided to skip this weekend due to the weather...I'm doubling up next weekend.
How about from the seller's perspective? A) if the house isn't vacant, they or their tenants have to leave and go out in the cold and rain; B) they will likely end up with people tracking water and dirt into their home which they are trying their hardest to keep clean; C) typically with cloud cover, natural lighting isn't at its best so the house won't show as well as it could.

Or does this question truly hit on the reality of the concept of open house - that it isn't for the seller as much is it is for the agent to try to get leads via buyers?

As a buyer, I think rainy days are a great time to see a house because you can see things like drainage and indoor lighting (or lack thereof) that you wouldn't ordinarily see on a typical San Diego day. It's sort of like seeing the house without its makeup. And many homes, particularly the ones with living spaces and windows facing north, can be pretty dark and cold on a rainy day.
Yes if the price is right.