Amy Zeitz Ba…, Real Estate Pro in 40291

Do you think House Hunters is an honest depiction of how a Realtor works?

Asked by Amy Zeitz Bailey, 40291 Thu Feb 6, 2014

Do you think House Hunters is an honest depiction of how a Realtor works? Realtor picks and shows three houses, buyer picks one, and we all live happily every after? I love this show and International House Hunters, but they really are Fairy Tale TV.

Answers

10
Of course it is how all Realtors work, just like the house flipper programs where they buy a house and fix it up and sell it for tons more.

I have a condo buyer coming in tomorrow and I am showing them 8 condos, but now I am going to cut that back to 3 and be ready to write a full price offer for cash. My new million dollar home should be finished soon and my new limo will be delivered next week. I am on my private jet as I type this.
It's about as real as Survivor.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 28, 2014
entertainment movies do not reflect reality. Antique Road Show=House Hunter=fiction
if you have a good agent she would give you all information available, and if there was no survey would suggest one be done, especially if there are areas on property that raise could raise a red flag. but who would'nt want to know there property lines. I know I would
I agree with Dorene. We had a local agent who was on house hunters and I hate to break the news.. It's staged. They have already lived in the home for some time, so you don't actually get to see the buyer's during the highs and lows of the real estate process. NAR (National Association of Realtors) says that the average home buyer starts their search online and views homes online for average 3 months and then on average views 12 homes with their Realtor. Sometimes less.. and Sometimes More.
Well....The T.V. shows ARE T.V. shows after all. I think they are great fun to watch, but they can give a wrong impression of how Real Estate actually works. I had a client looking for my "pint size chihuahua" to pop out of my purse after we signed on a house sale!! This is what is shown in "Millionaire LIstings".. They also assumed that there was "no paperwork" to sign, because on T.V....everything was done on the phone.
Otherwise, I don't take it too seriously.
The people on the show have actually already put in an offer and are under contract on one of the 3 houses they see. I'm guessing they're just going back to look at ones they saw while house hunting in the first place. It's fun to guess which one they'll go with in the end. :)
The show as it is depicted does not show the true process, even for the show production. For example, we all know that they show us three homes and the people supposedly pick from those three. If you watch closely it becomes clear that the agents and the clients have looked at many more than just the three homes shown on the show. The show obviously has a standard format, so they just show us the three "best" or most "show worthy" homes so they can create the best viewing experience for the person sitting at home. The casual viewer doesn't realize what goes on behind the scenes.
There are a lot of various real estate business models, maybe for some out there this works. I know for me it is rare for a client only to see three homes. AND if they chose one of the first three, I would encourage them to look at some more - see a few more options.

David Rudd
Kindred Real Estate
They're as "real" as most "reality" TV. Fun to watch but not all that true to life. I have enjoyed some of the international segments because it's interesting to see what places look like - especially rentals. Very different from our housing stock.