Stephanie Po…, Real Estate Pro in 20717

Do you need to know the homebuying process before you connect with agent?

Asked by Stephanie Poplar, 20717 Tue Dec 24, 2013

No, if have an agent that is licensed and experienced, the agent can walk you through the entire process from getting preapproved, finding home, submitting contract, inspections on property, and prepare for the closing...Bottom line, the real estate agent assists you with the entire process.

Answers

12
Hi Stephanie,

A good Realtor will walk thru the process and make it seamless. if you need any help feel free to give me a call.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 24, 2013
So I will be the fly in the soup here and say as a lender that Realtors should be extremely careful about dispensing mortgage advice. When I see agents write they can walk you thru the entire process from getting pre-approved.... Well that's crossing a line right there. No you can not and no you should not. That's our job. If you make a referral to a trusted LO that's fine. Of course you're supposed to give three names but I understand reality. I hear wildly inaccurate information on mortgages on a regular basis and when I ask where the client heard that the number one answer is "from my realtor." The agents I work with say "I don't know ask Brent." Believe me I get it. Clients call me and ask how much they should ask for their house, how much to offer etc. I have no idea and steer them back to their agent. It needs to be a two way street though,. I hope no one takes offense at this but it's been something I have been meaning to write for a while. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Thank You,

Brent Mendelson
Senior Loan Officer
1st Mariner Mortgage
Office 240-235-5314
Cell 301-412-0259
Nmls #111407
Lending in ALL 50 states
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 24, 2013
Brent, In the Real Estate business as a Realtor we are not allowed to "steer" anyone to anyplace it is against the law. This is also something I have been meaning to write, please don't take offense.
Flag Wed Dec 25, 2013
No offense taken, this is really an important statement that most mortgage folks don't have the courage to make! when a prospective buyer/client asks me about interest rates/mortgage info I say "Go to an expert on the subject" I don't sell money, I sell homes.
Flag Tue Dec 24, 2013
It probably has been stated but when you sign with an agent, he/she will provide you all of the information that you will require to purchase a home. You can do your own research, get advice from friends and family but know that your situation is unique to you and cannot be exactly as someone else's experience. Trust your agent, he/she.....me will give you outstanding service to help you find the home specific to your needs. Call me if you have not engaged an agent, it would be good to talk to you to determine what your needs are.
As an agent, why are you asking this question to begin with since you should know the answer or go to your broker with it? Then you don't wait for an answer you go ahead and answer yourself......if you treat clients like this you may find it to be a problem since they usually ask the questions and wait for an answer from their experienced Realtor.
Several months ago, I met a couple looking for a home. Although they were brilliant academic types, they knew nothing about the home buying process. Before we ever looked at a home, we sat on 3 occasions to learn the steps necessary to complete a transaction.

When they asked about the loan process, the answer is always the same, seek out a trusted mortgage person and ask him/her about THAT process.
A good Realtor should be able to walk you through the home buying process. Once you talk to an Realtor, if you still feel somewhat unsettled, I would explore some of the blogs on the web to gain more comfort. However you need to be completely confortable with the home buying process, because you will have some very important decisions to make along the way. If you have any questions, please contact me at 302-981-6485.

Jeff Hoover
So ignorance is bliss, huh??
It seems you answer your own question. Normally my advice would be for agents to not answer their own questions but write this information in your your Trulia blog. It will reach more people and stay relative longer as Q and A falls out ones view fast with each new question posted. With Trulias blog down you can try Active Rain, i have posted a link below. Your answer is right on and should be seen by more people.
The answer is absolutely no. Picking the right agent can make the home buying process a lot easier for you and cuts down the time you use in figuring out facts.
I read an article that said people spend more time researching a car to buy than they do researching how to buy a house.
I think you should do some research, to a level you understand/feel comfortable.
THEN, call three agents ad interview them one on one. They can meet you somewhere and answer your questions.
Hope this helps. Happy Househunting!
PS, I would like to be one of the three agents 😀.
No, The agent you connect wit will educate you on the entire process, choose wisely.

Chris
Experienced Buyers

Much has changed in the world of real estate in recent years. The influence of Internet technologies has given buyers and sellers new ways to come together. If you've been through the home buying process before, it's more important than ever to pick the right real estate professional.

In the present real estate market, you want an agent who will use the Internet to your advantage. As an action-oriented real estate agent, I fully understand how today's technology can help you find the right home. My website allows you to search thousands of listings to locate the properties that best fit your needs. It's a great tool for home buying, and free to use.

Call me today and we can discuss what you're looking for in a home, and where to begin. I look forward to helping you.

First-Time Buyers

If you are currently in the market for your first home, you probably have lots of questions. You are about to be making an important decision for your future, a great investment of both money and time. I have a wealth of experience helping first time buyers like you make sound, informed decisions. Here are some tips that can help make your home buying process successful:
•Tip #1: Do Your Homework
The perfect home won't find you by itself. The key step in buying a home is doing the proper research. Educate yourself on local schools, neighborhoods, and the kinds of homes available. By reading available materials and talking with experts, you can start to put together your idea of the perfect home.
•Tip #2: Start Planning
Most decisions benefit greatly from proper planning, and home buying is certainly no exception. Start a filing system with sections such as home buying, home financing, and service providers. By forming a home buying plan you can more easily focus on the most important factors and help give structure to the entire process. My website is a great resource for property information.
•Tip #3: Get PreQualified
Getting prequalified for a loan normally only requires a short phone conversation with a lender, and can greatly help your home search. Prequalification does not guarantee you a loan, but it does provide you with an estimated monthly payment and a price range to use as a guide when shopping for homes. Being prequalified can also often indicate to sellers that you are a serious, prepared buyer.
•Tip #4: Look for Value
When shopping for homes, it's important to consider potential value. Even if you're not planning to sell the home some time down the line, it's a good idea to consider the future value of the home. Protect yourself against things like falling prices and gradual shifts in the nature of the neighborhood. You may not think of a new home as a means to make money, but it's an important investment that requires caution.
•Tip #5: Decide What You're Looking For
Settle on the home features that are important to you (covered parking, hardwood floors, architectural style, etc.) and make an ordered list. Having well established guidelines will help narrow down your search and will prevent you from being shown properties that lack your key amenities. It can help you make the decision not to buy an attractive property that doesn't really fit your needs. My website has a search feature that allows you to filter thousands of listings based on attributes that you select. If you know you want a brick house with gas heat and a garage, you can get the results you're looking for.
•Tip #6: Relax
You don't have to make an offer on the first home you see. Make sure to look at other listings in the area to get a feel for the marketplace. When you decide to make an offer on a house, consult with your real estate professional so that all of your questions are answered.
•Tip #7: Shop Around for Your Mortgage
Deciding on the financing for your home can be as important as choosing a home itself. The first step is deciding what kind of loan best fits you: a fixed rate mortgage, or an Adjustable Rate Mortgage (ARM). There are benefits to each form of loan, and your real estate professional can provide you with more information. Next you'll want to begin to shop around for different lenders.
•Tip #8: Protect Yourself
Be careful when signing a contract on a home that allows you to find financing, have the home inspected, and work through any problem areas that may arise. Paying for a quality home inspection is absolutely crucial! You can save yourself thousands in repair costs by being sure of what you're getting into.

Don't hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have, I would love to be of assistance to you.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
Re/Max Palm Realty
tammyhayesre@gmail.com
941-276-6185
http://www.tammyhayes.remaxagent.com/