Home Buying in Austin>Question Details

Trulia Austin, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

Do you need to attend a home inpsection if you're already getting a report from the inspector?

Asked by Trulia Austin, Austin, TX Thu Jan 31, 2013

Also note a home inspection is not the place to skimp on money. I promise you the cheapest inspector is not going to be the BEST inspector and that is what you want. Its always better to find a homes flaws before you buy the house. Find an inspector with a great reputation and lots of experience, there is no substitute.
With all due respect, if you're not an especially good proofreader, then you're probably going to find the written inspector's report incomprehensible.
I always recommend buyers attend the inspection. This gives you an opportunity to ask questions, clarify issues and get a true feeling for the condition of the home and it's operating systems. You are spending a few hundred dollars on an inspection....why would you not want to take full advantage of this opportunity to educate you about the property?
It's good for a buyer to meet with the inspector at the end of the inspection. That way the inspector can explain any items that may be red flags. Also, there may be items that are on the report that may seem a bigger problem than actually are. A conversation with the inspector can put that into perspective.
While many inspectors prefer you not to be there. I always suggest that my buyers go for the last 30 minutes of inspection to meet the inspector and ask any questions about the report. Buyers may see items on the report and not know if it is a serious issue. Or they may see something and think its a big deal when its not. Its always best to get the inspectors opinion on the condition he is the expert. Having a great inspector is important. So look on Angies List or Yelp to see who has the best reviews. The most important advice here is: This is an item NOT to shop by price alone. Or you may just get what you paid for.
I wish you the best & good luck!
I agree with the answers below. It's generally a good idea to be there.
Web Reference: http://larapavanelli.com
Depends on the client. I recommend all attend, though limit questions as the inspector's job is to focus on finding or eliminating problems with the home. Distraction is bad, understanding the process is good. Agree with others to arrive in last few minutes and have the inspector walk through the property and point out the questionable areas.
Web Reference: http://www.crowehomes.com
You're not required to attend, but if you can, I suggest you do. It can be a real learning experience. If you can't, then just try to go for the last 30 minutes or so, as Felix said. There are generally items that don't fit neatly into the promulgated form which the inspector completes that you'll still want to know. Good luck!
Go in the last 10-30 min of the inspection.. A good inspector will walk you through and explain moderate to major issues (if any) found. However the detailed report should be looked over and discussed with your Realtor.
I always recommend it. You learn a lot about the home you are getting ready to purchase attending the home inspection