Home Buying in Cape Coral>Question Details

Trulia Cape…, Other/Just Looking in Cape Coral, FL

Do you need a lawyer to buy a home?

Asked by Trulia Cape Coral, Cape Coral, FL Mon May 6, 2013

Answers

6
Barbara Klare’s answer
In Florida it is not required as in some states but of course you can hire an attorney if you’d like. In Florida the Realtor is licensed to prepare the contract and negotiate in your behalf. The transaction is usually closed with a title company and a title insurance policy is paid by the seller and issued to the buyer. I’ve been practicing 12 years and have never come across an abstract of title as is common in the northern states.

Barbara Klare, Broker Associate
Gulf Coast Realty
cell: 239-292-1358
e-mail:bklare@comcast.net
http://www.barbaraklare.com
No, a lawyer is not 'needed' to purchase a home but it is a good idea to have one especially when purchasing a foreclosed or short sale property. Also, keep in mind that there is an attorney that works in the title company that is handling your closing. You will be charged a fee at closing for preparing your title work so using their attorney is fine and you will not pay any additional fees just for them to review your contract or closing settlement statement.

Kind Regards,

Tricia Huffer, Realtor
(239) 560-8329 Direct
CENTURY 21 SUnbelt Realty
Always a good idea, the amount of money it costs versus the peace of mind is well worth it.
That is a personal choice for the buyer to make but in most regular transactions an attorney is not needed but sometimes buyers feel more comfortable having one anyway.
In most transactions you will not need one. Commercial properties, Short Sales and REO's I always strongly recommend one.

Maybe in New Jersey you might have a severe disadvantage, but in Florida I can not think of why you be disadvantaged by not having one.

If you do get one, make real sure you find one that often does real estate, and one that knows how to make things happen. I have seen Lawyers save a deal and I have seen them mess it up for no good reason.

Your Realtor should be able to advise you when you need a lawyer.

John
No but not having one in a lawyer RE estate state can put you at a severe disadvantage.