Home Buying in Denver>Question Details

Trulia Denver, Home Buyer in Denver, CO

Do you need a lawyer to buy a home?

Asked by Trulia Denver, Denver, CO Tue Apr 23, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


No you don't, you don't need a Realtor either. However it's highly recomended that you consult with either one or both. Lawyers have fees for consultation, Realtors usually dont and they should be able to explain or clarify anything in the Colorado Real Estate Contracts. Since the service is free to you, I would interview a couple agents and find out the value they can bring with their services. I'm always taking buyers so feel free to call, text or email. http://www.YVProperties.Com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 26, 2013
The answer to that question is really up to you? If you have a Realtor representing you in the transaction, due understand that they aren't an attorney. I have been in business for 10 years and have never had a attorney review documents, but note that you certainly can have anyone review documents you sign.

Best of luck to you and if I can be of any help, feel free to reach out to me!

Bill Pearson GRI, SRES |"Your Denver Realtor For Life"
ERA Herman Group Real Estate| 201 Columbine Street| Suite 301| Denver CO 80206
720-329-1470 |Bill@DenverRealtorForLife.com
5280 Magazine FIVE STAR Real Estate Professional – 2010, 2011, 2012
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 23, 2013
Real estate purchase contracts are legal documents. At the top of the agreement it states:
This form has important legal consequences and the parties should consult legal and tax or other counsel before signing.

Make sure your broker explains every section of the contract. If you need further clarification, consult an attorney. I have been a broker in the Denver area for 18 years and I have had one client relocating from Chicago ask me to send every document to his attorney for approval.

Carolyn Gensler
Real estate broker
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 23, 2013
Real estate purchase contracts are legal contracts and there is information stating it is a legal contract and if you have questions you are encouraged to consult with an attorney. I have been a broker for 18 years in the Denver and I have only had one client who asked that all documents be sent to his attorney. He was relocating from Chicago where that is more common.

Make sure you understand all parts of the purchase contract before signing. Agents should explain all the provisions thoroughly before you sign.

Carolyn Gensler
Real Estate Broker
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 23, 2013
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 23, 2013

For the most part you should not need an attorney..Colorado Real Estate Commission contracts are binding. However if you feel any uncertainty then for peace of mind it cannot hurt.

Michael Turner
Lead Properties
720 300 0889
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 23, 2013
The Real Estate Commission contracts, disclosures and forms are written (and reviewed and re-written annually) to allow licensed Realtors to write contracts without the assistance of an attorney. However, I always recommend to my clients that, if they feel even slightly uncomfortable with any contract or form that they consult with their lawyer prior to signing as these are legally binding contracts.
Chuck Strauss
Your Castle Real Estate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 23, 2013
Not necessarily. Although, as a Broker, I do always suggest that my Clients run any questionable issues by one. Our contracts are legally binding, but if you are buying a home in which you think there may be a problem, or if one arises during the transaction, a Real Estate attorney is key.

Most of our transactions are done without an attorney, but it is important to remember that Brokers are not lawyers, and although we are familiar with the laws, we are not allowed to give any legal advice.

Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 23, 2013
Ask a lawyer and they will say yes. Ask a real estate agent and they'll probably say no. I say consult an attorney so you don't sue me for not saying consult an attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 23, 2013
No you can use a licensed Realtor. My name is Aimee Ornelas of Metro Brokers, my services are free to buyers, call me and I can assist. 720-261-6340
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 23, 2013
Not in Colorado, but it's always recommended to consult one if you feel the need to!


0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 23, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer