Home Buying in Keller>Question Details

Learned The…, Home Buyer in Dallas County, TX

Do you know if Lionsgate Homes has insurance in the event a buyer has a claim down the road? Does their contract allow for a jury trial or do they?

Asked by Learned The Hard Way, Dallas County, TX Sun Nov 15, 2009

require the buyer to settle any disputes through binding arbitration? I've had serious problems in the past with a builder and want to avoid any going forward. Thanks. Alan

Answers

14
Lionsgate sucks from every point. They never answer your calls or complains. Im a Lionsgate home owner for a year now in Arlington and Im having all sorts of problems. Their work staff are a joke. Worse than amateurs. I purchased a 300k home and they dont even care about responding to any of my problems. They are Ridiculous!!!!!!
Raving fan is so sad... Marketing director prob appointed by LionsGate president Larry Craven who should be focusing on fixing his existing problems and not marketing.
What exactly is it that makes you say they are a joke? Details would be helpful for those of us considering a home built by them.
Flag Wed Aug 7, 2013
Congradulatons to LionsGate Homes for being nominated for 2013 HAB of Dallas/Ft. Worth for Home Builder of the Year and 2013 Peoples Chioce Builder of the year. That's two years in a row for LionsGate Homes. They must be doing something right.
I stand with 25 home owners of a LionsGate community that would never buy another LionsGate home. Ask your LionsGate homeowners in your community before buying this product
LionsGate Homes enjoys a great reputation in the building community in the Dallas/Ft. Worth market. In 2011, LionsGate Homes was nominated for 6 HAB awards, including Builder of the Year, and People's Choice Builder of the Year.

Mr. Boyd was correct; signs were accidently removed from lots in the community. LionsGate has just contract for 17 lots in this subdivision and there was confusion on which lots were under contract. We apologize for this error.

Mr. Boyd sent his email to LionsGate at 8:43 pm on Friday night. We did not recieve it at the corporate office until Monday morning. A call was place to Mr. Boyd at 7:45am on Monday morning. Most would consider that a fast response. We could not have responded faster as our corporate office was closed over the weekend.

Mr. Boyd's signs will be returned by Monday afternoon. We apopogize for the error.

Please visit our web site at http://www.lionsgatetx.com for additional information on our company and communites.

LionsGate Homes
Yesterday was my first bad experience with a production builder. I've made alot of friends with various production builders and many of their employees and sales staff over the years. Horton, Ryland, Mercedes, David Weekly - all seem like wonderful comapnies with some great people working for them. I send them alot of business when people visit me and are looking for a lower price point than custom. As a industry professional, my first impression with Lions Gate has been less than desirable. They recently bought a few lots in a neighborhood in Mansfield where I own some lots and where I have a model home, and a few weeks later all my signs come up missing, even the ones in front of my model home??? I talked to all of the existing homeowners and one of them reported they had seen a crew of Lions Gate workers picking them all up. I emailed Lions Gate asking for a explanation and as of today, no response. We have always gone out of our way to welcome each builder to a neighborhood where we build, as we enjoy the comaradere of working with fellow builders, we believe in helping and supporting people in our industry, and that is why so many different builders are calling us asking for advise and wanting to network together. We fail to understand how or why this type of episode could happen.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 14, 2012
Yes, we did recieve a 10 year Bonder Builders warranty at closing for LionsGate Homes. I checked them out, Bonder builders is a nations company with a good reputation.

Thanks for your input, we are very happy with out LionsGate Home.
Builders must have a 10 year structural warranty in Texas. They either pay into a warranty trust or have a third party provide the coverage. Almost all builders require that you at least begin with arbitration. All of this will be spelled out in there contract and warranty documents. Before you buy a new home you should get copies of both. I have a blog on new Home builders in DFW the link is below please have a look at it. If you have any questions please contact me directly at 817-729-4281.

John Straub
817-729-4281
john@dfwfamilyrealty.com

http://www.dfwfamilyrealty.info
I closed with LionsGate Homes last month. I did check, they DO have insurnace. The did a great job. The bullder i worked with kept me informed throught out the process. That had the BEST features of any builder we looked at... grante in the Kichen and hardwood floors in my entry and Family room, Tankless hot Water heater..

My Realtor told me LionsGate Homes recieved the Best Builder award for Collin county last year.

Overall the did a great job. I would recomenned them to anyone looking for a new home.
Real estate is a kind-of hobby for our family -- we enjoy looking at model homes, visiting open houses, etc. We've considered a variety of builders such as Grand, Sandlin, Landon, Glacier and LionsGate. We decided to build with LionsGate based on quality of material, price point and amenities and are now at the sheetrock stage with our home. So far, so good.

We were very thorough and did our homework on the area, price per sq. ft., amenities, building materials, etc. We also visited at least 5-7 LG spec homes in varying build stages and in different communities to better see/understand their work.

For the community we selected, the base product was very good for the price point (granite, stainless, gas stove, Rinnai tankless water heater, custom stained cabinets, covered back patio, aggregate driveway - walkway - patio, handscraped wood floor). They also offer periodic specials such as upgrading the attic insulation to R-51.

My best recommendation for anyone building a home is to sit down and list **every** feature/amenity you want in each room -- from an extra outlet in the office, to a gas stub on the back patio, to additional lights in the garage. Take a week to revisit the list in the evenings to make sure you've considered everything (there is a lot to consider!). The more you document exactly what you want, the clearer communication will be between you and LG.

Make sure all details/amenities are clearly called-out in the contract for your negotiations. Then, once you've met with LG's design and electrical partners (CTI and ICG respectively), make sure all of your personal customizations are captured in a 'Change Order' document.
One can't be too careful these days. Find out who owns the company you're considering buying a home from and ask if they ever had a previous home building company. If so, what happened to that company? Did it file bankruptcy? What was the name of the previous company(s) and was the company ever sued. Do a background internet check on the name of the previous company and each of the owners of the builder you're considering. Ask for a contact list of previous homeowners that have bought homes from the builder past and present. Ask builder if they have insurance, what kind, limits, type of coverage and name(s) of insurance company. This is essential. If the builder doesn't have insurance and you file a claim you will get nothing and spend a lot on legal fees. Get a copy of the home warranty to ensure it's legitimate and backed by the proper Texas home builder agencies. A warranty backed solely by the builder is meaningless. Ensure the contract allows you to file a lawsuit against the builder and is not restricted to only arbitration. Finally, have an attorney review the contract BEFORE signing. Be a smart consumer instead of a victim. Hope this helps.
I'm actually having a home built by them right now. I am pretty happy with how the overall process is going. I walk through the home everyday and sometimes 2-3 times in one day. They offer things that most builders don't and the quality is pretty good. If you write a contract with them, make sure you find out specially what comes with the house and what is an upgrade. Any extras that they tell you come with the house, have them put it in the contract. There are a couple instances where they told us that something came with the house and then during the build process, they told us it was an upgrade we didn't purchase. In the process of getting that resolved. Also, when writing the contract, ask for everything you can think of to the included. We asked for surround sound wiring, gas grill hookup out back, extended 3rd car garage and much more. Biggest advice, keep on top of the house as it is being built. I would also ask them if the house you are going to have built is going to be exactly like the model. We have a room that is 2 ft shorter than the model. Dont be scared to address any issues or questions with the builder and demand an answer. Like I said, I am pretty happy with the process and the house.
How did you resolve the issue with the room being 2 ft shorter. My house is due for closing on the 28th of this month. My blueprints are different from the model and the explanation was there was a revision to the floorplan since the building of the model home. What would you suggest I do at this point? Would you ask for additional upgrades at their expense? Thanks
Flag Mon May 12, 2014
Are you referring to LionsGate? We are looking to buy a home with them, but don't know much about them. Are you still satisfied with your home? Have you had any problems? Also, were you able to negotiate the cost of the home? Thanks!
Flag Mon Apr 16, 2012
Many real estate contracts need reviewed by a professional agent or attorney.

Buyer and seller agree on terms and conditions of sale property if jury trial or arbitration. In most instances Judges can court order and prefer both parties go thru mediatation.

Each builder may vary on what is covered under warranty and length of time.

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Texas Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lynn911
Lynn911

http://www.lynn911.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 21, 2009
Never heard of Lionsgate....the trouble is with a lot of the small builders and these days even with the big builders, they could be out of business by the time you have a dispute. Almost all will likely have binding arbitration as part of their contracts. Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 15, 2009
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX