Home Buying in Orlando>Question Details

Elbert and M…, Home Buyer in Winter Haven, FL

Do you have to hire someone to do plumbing, and electric work can you do them or have to have a professional?

Asked by Elbert and Mary Stonebraker, Winter Haven, FL Fri Sep 6, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


You should always have a professional when you are dealing with electric or plumbing. you can changed a light switch and a fan or 2. changing sprinkler heads, and who hasn't change a
toilet float.
But, if there is any thing more you should look for someone licensed and insured. I am a licensed and insured but, I don't do residential repair, I only work new construction.
I hope this helps
I do have a long list of people in the metro Orlando area
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 6, 2013
I completely agree. Plumbing and electric issues aren't something you really want to mess with. I would have a professional take care of those as soon as you can. Good luck! http://www.stephenspandh.com/plumbing-and-repair.php
Flag Tue Sep 9, 2014
We Gotta Guy For That LLC...We can handle it all!!!!! 407-744-8456 or 718-414-4274
Flag Fri Sep 6, 2013
Thank you I would like that list
Flag Fri Sep 6, 2013
There isn't anything that I know of requiring you to have a professional do this work if you own the home, although some landlords may require that in properties that they rent out. It is a good idea to consult professionals whenever you haven't done that specific job before or if you don't know how to do all of the work on your own. You can end up costing yourself more money if you do a job the wrong way, so it's good to know your limits and to remember to call a professional when you reach those limits.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 13, 2015
Jackson, I agree that you can do some plumbing and electrical work on your own but some things are best left to the professionals. In my house we have replaced toilet handles and small clogs but we always call a professional on more complicated repairs. If you don't know what you are doing you can sometimes create more problems. http://www.myanytime.com/residential.html
Flag Sat Jan 24, 2015
Completely depends on the scope of the work and your ability. Ask your agent and develop a plan.

Lisa Wetzel and Jim Valentine

Certified Distressed Property Expert, CDPE
RE/MAX Realty Affiliates
1320 Hwy 395
Gardnerville, NV 89410
775-781-5472 Lisa
775-781-3704 Jim
775-781-3703 Jessie
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 21, 2014
Hiring a professional would be a lot safer and easier to fix some of your repairs. They can check all of the problems you have and make sure that everything is fixed. I would definitely look into hiring a professional one in your area. I think this would be the best thing for you to do. http://www.ueinc.us/plumbing.html
Flag Tue Mar 10, 2015
The fact is that it depends on where you live. In the trades, we have these things called Authorities Having Jurisdiction. In PA where I live your city or township has Jurisdiction and can decide whether you can legally do your own electrical work or plumbing. The way they decide that is by who they allow to pull permits and what oversight and inspections they require. In many townships, homeowners can pull all their permits (though the technical requirements of those permits might be beyond them, making that not possible). In bigger cities, the cities only want licensed pros to pull permits. You basically have to know the rules of where you live.

That said, plumbing and electric are really not things you want to mess with unless you are a pro, especially not electric. Your water pipes will probably not kill you while you're working on them, but your home wiring most certainly can. A plumbing mistake can cause serious flood damage. And even a very small electrical mistake could result in a lethal house fire down the line. Those are two trades I would not take lightly if I were you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 16, 2013
Agreeing with what was already said, simple projects are something any homeowner can do (and really should know how to). More complex projects are definitely pros only. Amateur electric and plumbing can not only be expensive to fix, but can also be dangerous and even illegal.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 14, 2013
I would hope that most people know how to do the simple chores that keep the house going. If you needed to call someone to do a simple toilet unclogging, well that's your choice. Though I would agree that the complex projects should be left to someone that really has quality experience.
Flag Tue Oct 28, 2014
When you are doing something simple like unclogging the toilet you may have the skill set to handle the problem. However, most projects will need the aid of a trained professional. It is worth investing in someone who clearly knows how to do the job.
Flag Wed Oct 22, 2014
No, you don't have to hire someone.

But you should for ALL electrical work and for anything but simple plumbing jobs.

Hope that helps.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 6, 2013
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
In Florida you are allowed to do all of your own work on your home if you think you are capable of doing it, as many people are.
If that is an area of concern to you I offer free estimates to all of my clients . I have been a licensed contractor for 20 years and now I do real estate and bring that experience to the table for you.

Let me know if you have any questions, I am happy to assist you!

Brian Mahoney, CDPE
Town Centre
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 6, 2013
I agree with Park Place Realty, you should always hire a professional to make changes to your plumbing and electrical. New codes are always added and you may not know exactly what to do. Legally, you are supposed to pull permits for this work as well. Also, when you look to sell your property, having receipts from a licensed contractor (plumber or electrician) will give the potential buyer more confidence in the property.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 6, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer