Ben Jones, Home Buyer in 20815

Do we need a boundary survey if we plan to add a 2nd story to an existing addition? Deciding if we want to

Asked by Ben Jones, 20815 Thu May 7, 2009

pay the extra now for both boundary and location or just do location for settlement.

Answers

3
Contact Montgomery County Office Of Permitting: 240-777-6370
Thanks ... that is helpful. I don't think we will add on to the 1st floor in the time we live there but we might need to replace parts of a fence and will probably build up on top of an existing 1st floor addition. If we just rebuild where the existing fence is do we need to do the boundary survey? We only need the location drawing to settle but are wondering if it isn't worth spending the extra money now in case we do need the boundary survey for some reason in the future.
In my area I do not think you need the boundary survey. You should call your county planning and zoning board to find out this info. You would probably want one if you are adding on to the first floor and need to make sure you do not encroach your neighbors property. Than the money would be well spent. What would a few hundred extra be if you built part of your house on your neighbors property and than you neighbor one day decided to tell you thank you for adding on to his property. He decided to live in the portion you built on his property and you can't tell him to go home. Far fetched horror story but it happens. Hope this helped.