Gizmo414, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Do the people of FHA UNDERWRITERS HAVE A HEART?

Asked by Gizmo414, New York, NY Sat Nov 9, 2013

I'm trying to buy a home FHA. EVERYTHING They ask for I get. The loan is approved the appraiser noted some flaking paint. I was asked to make the repairs because the sellers are to old and not able. The nice guy I am I fixed the paint, it was inspected and approved . But now FHA wanted to know who made the repairs, turns out I'm not allowed A EPA CERTIFIED HAS TO DO IT!! The sellers are aloud to fix it but no one else. I did a favor and they want to be some HEARTLESS PIECE OF CRAP OVER WHO FIXED A LITTLE FLAKING PAINT.I think I get a lawyer and go all out public about this. what do you think.

Answers

5
Underwriters aren't in the business of having a heart but looking out solely for the banks best interest. Banks never have your best interest in mind, they want your money and the government steps in to control it. As for the FHA they have always been sticklers for peeling paint and missing handrails, no exceptions. Keep in mind the bank is investing in the home and if you default they want to know they wont encounter any issues when trying to re sell it. That's another reason why they do appraisals, besides the fact that they want to lend the least amount of money possible. t's all for their best interest.

Chris
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 10, 2013
I know it doesn't seem fair. Who advised you to fix the paint?
REALTOR AGENT, BECAUSE THE SELLERS ARE OLD AND COULDN'T DO IT
Flag Sun Nov 10, 2013
You have run into what has happened over the last 5-6 years. Big Brother is protecting us! If the home was built before 1978 there are lead based paint mitigation rules in place with the EPA. These rules do not apply to the home owner but they do to everyone else.
These rules have driven up the costs of having the work done if the home owner can not do the work themselves. I recently got a quote to paint the trim on a brick home that is in a historic district that I own. 7 years ago the trim was painted for 3000.00 now the quote is 16000.00.
If you go get a lawyer and go all public you need to go after the leader of the country as he is the one driving a lot of these issues.
Well I still feel that this can be taken the same as the owner did it since they asked me to do it, and my loan officer said write a letter stating I did it!
Flag Sun Nov 10, 2013
When was the house built? And where was the paint? I think there can still be a reasonable solution. I am a local lender in the area. My contact information is in the profile or you can email me franz@themortgagerx.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 9, 2013
GREAT to have a response ,, The home was built in 1961 by a contractor for him self. Now I mention that because "What kind of house do you think he built" the paint that flaked is acualy on metal window frame, of house and the other is on the unattached garage the over hang.
Flag Sun Nov 10, 2013
FHA/VA guidelines can be bothersome, but they have them in place to ensure safety and proper completion. As Realtors we see this frequently. I understand your situation and frustration. Did or can you get a quote for the job? Perhaps it can be negotiated and not that pricey. In all honesty, if buyers fix repairs themselves, it can be a liability or the job may not be done correctly. Their rules are in place to protect all. See about getting a quote then decide if it's worth it to move forward on the purchase. It likely will be but the bump in the road is already felt. Try to move past it and just focus on getting it done so you can close. Best of luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 9, 2013
Guidelines are fine "But my situation is no different then them doing it them selves" where there exempt and I DO THE JOB THE SAME AS A GRAND CHILD COULD HAVE DONE SO DO THE FHA HAVE A HEART OR DO THEY HAVE TO NIT-PICK THIS INTO FOX8 I-TEAM!
Flag Sun Nov 10, 2013