Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

Trulia Houst…, Other/Just Looking in Houston, TX

Do the fair housing laws apply to all housing transactions?

Asked by Trulia Houston, Houston, TX Mon Nov 12, 2012

Answers

4
I am going to ask a question about a question. I am not sure whether or not there is an exception in rentals for owner/occupiers. If, for example a single woman owns a two-family home, is she able to refuse to rent the other unit to single men? I know there used to be an exception for situations such as these but I am not sure they are still in existence. Anyone want to weigh in on that issue?
The only exception I am aware of is if an owner is renting a property himself and is not an owner of multiple homes. In addition to the Federal Fair Housing Laws many states and counties have additional restrictions as well.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 17, 2012
Yes, Fair Housing laws apply to all housing transactExcept for in communities that are 55 and older . If over 85% of the occupants are over 55 they can refuse to sell or lease . There are also some stipulations regarding a lease that is less than 1 year as well.

Hope this helps
Natalie Bailey
Weichert Realtors
832-493-1239
That is a somewhat loaded question. For the few exceptions that don't apply, they should