TTfamily, Home Buyer in Tarrytown, NY

Do taxes go up when a home sells if the home has been with the same owner for 25 years?

Asked by TTfamily, Tarrytown, NY Fri Dec 26, 2008

Do taxes go up when a house sells? I was looking at a home for sale in Westchester where the taxes are about $10K and the house has been with the same owner about 25 years. It seems like low taxes for the rivertowns. how can i tell if they will go up and how much?

Answers

3
Susie,

Only 3 areas in Westchester County adjust taxes upon resale. Those communites are Broxville, Pelham & Rye. Otherwise taxes are adjusted by the assesor when homeowners renovate certain aspects of the house or add square footage via expansion or adding living space.

The assessors are using different vehicles to increase property taxes on homes. Also, the assessors are beginning to use the MLS to check homes vis a vis the property cards on file and see if they are the same and in some instance trying to adjust taxes.

Old homes tend to have lower taxes because when they were originally built the assessment and the tax rates were much lower and the increases over the years were on a minisual base. Newer homes have higher assessments and the tax rates now are much higher.

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to reach out with any specific questions you may have.

Steve Geiger
Associate Broker
Houlihan Lawrence
914-328-8400
sgeiger@houlihanlawrence.com
Hi Susie, I am a Rivertowns Realtor, specifically located in Tarrytown. In New York State the taxes are assessed by market vale. This is defined as what a house would sell for without duress. The taxes are not reassessed every year but usually every 3 or so. It is hard to say what they will go up by, but usually the school taxes go up due to the yearly budget results. Keep in mind there are exemptions that the current owner may have such as the Basic STAR, Enhanced STAR (65 or older), and even Veterans exemptions. I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me with any further questions

Christopher Pagli
Associate Broker
Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 26, 2008
Your tax would stay the same each year county does adjust taxes either up or down. If the person is over certain age per county usually 65 tax are reduced, upon sale of property would increase due to new buyer age.

Confer with county tax office receive more detail information regarding your question.

GREAT QUESTION
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com