Home Buying in Mission Viejo>Question Details

Cnh, Home Buyer in Los Angeles County, CA

Do residents in private gated communities pay for repairs on streets, sewer and water lines, lighting,...etc?

Asked by Cnh, Los Angeles County, CA Tue Aug 11, 2009

Specifically, is this true for Stoneridge Gallery gated community in Mission Viejo of California?

Help the community by answering this question:


There is a short sale priced below $700K, 2800 sqft.. Could be a good buy if you are willing to wait it out. It is $100K below same model that is also for sale.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 21, 2009
If there is a specific home that you are interested in within Stoneridge Gallery, it would be to your benefit to request a copy of the HOA bylaws and deed restrictions in order to find out before offering.

Before any CA agents get upset for a TX agent answering, I am from Mission Viejo, CA. With a gated community and an HOA community, there really isn't one cookie-cutter answer for all. It depends on the management firm and developer in the early stages, and then possibly the homeowner-run HOA a few years down the road when the builder is no longer involved. It also depends on where in the County the neighborhood falls, and whether the roads are designated as city or state coordinated for street and other city repairs.

Good luck.
Ronda Allen
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 19, 2009
It looks like there is a small Mello Roos in Stoneridge and an association fee, so some of the unkeep will most likely come out of those fees.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 14, 2009
Frank's answer below is partially correct. Mission Viejo is a city, and so they have some responsibility, the County of Orange has some responsibility, and last, the Homeowner's Association for Stoneridge has some responsibilities, for such infrastructure.
Web Reference: http://tr.im/FreeMLSSearch
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 12, 2009
Usually if it is a community, it is an association. If it is an association, then there are monthly dues and if they have enough reserves they canpay for it. If there are insuficient funds to do the repairs such as for a condo buildind that needs a new roof, the association may put an assesment on the unit until it is paid off.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 12, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer