Home Buying in Raleigh>Question Details

John Horton, Real Estate Pro in Wilmington, NC

Do people from Raleigh hit the Wilmington Beaches as a destination?

Asked by John Horton, Wilmington, NC Sun May 27, 2007

I am in Wilmington and we have seen enormous growth in the last two years. Our historic downtown is booming and the beaches are the busiest I've seen this early in the year. Is Raleigh choosing Wilmington as a get-away?

Answers

16
John, even as far away a Winston Salem people are coming your way. It's 4.5 hours from Winston thus easy to leave for beach on Friday afternoon and stay til late in the day Sunday.
Wilmington and the surrounding beaches are a favorite destination for people from Raleigh. The short two hour makes it easy to go there, spend the day and return at night. The distance makes it attractive because of not just time, but the economic factor of gas prices. The Wilmington area beaches offer vacationers all the amenities of restaurants, amusements, golf, and shopping.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 27, 2007
Absolutely! The warm weather, high gas prices and what will be a short summer for many families with kids going on the year round program makes Wilmington a great destination.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 6, 2007
Absolutely! It is a short day trip with easy directions (Get on I-40 and head East). The beaches are nice and you will be able to head into the city for some sightseeing as well as eating.
Absolutely.....although my preference....Florida beachs, crystal clear waters, great fishing, inexpensive places to stay in the summertime, great restaurants and nightlife. Incredible shopping. Love Juno Beach,Jupiter area, Palm Beach County.
Hi John

WIlminton and Top Sail Island under 2 hours from Raleigh, of course this is a great destination.

Tom
All the time! It's just a short 2 hour drive depending on what time on Friday you get through SE Raleigh!
People are choosing NC beaches but not just Wilmington! Having grown up on the northern beaches of NC, what a surprise when moving inland to find how people choose from all our beach destinations and how they decide which is their destination beach. Those choices are often rooted in their first early beaches that they have always gone to over the years. Recently clients that just moved to the area and having some free time before closing on their new home and starting new jobs, they asked about where to go to the beach for a day trip. Sent them information on 5 different and distinct NC beach areas with a caveat warning that where they go to 1st might just become their beach of choice! The information included: distinct features and attractions, great restaurant and shopping areas, what the ocean is like at that part of the coast, and drive time from Raleigh. Guess what? They did NOT choose Wilmington! The beach they choose was perfect for them as they said they loved it and they are planning to go back!
You betcha we head to Wilimington Beaches they have always been the best beaches around, you can get away quickly and relax without all the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives.
Yes. Not only as a get-away, some of us Raleighians are buying homes and relocating to the area. I myself vacation their every year. With countless inviting-friendly activities for both families and singles offered in the Wilmington area, Driving the Coast of Wilmington is joyful, fun, and exciting...
Web Reference: http://www.fallb.hpw.com
Wilmington is always a quick getaway for folks in Raleigh. As it is just an 1-1/2 hours from many parts of Wake County, it is a great place to go for an extended weekend or even a week!
Yes! Wilmington is a common stop for Raleigh residence to retreat to the beach. As the beaches become more popular, as you stated in your question, I see a growing trend of vacationers seeking out other places, such as lakes. I also see buyers considering fractional ownership opinion as they plan for vacations to come. This allows a family or group of people to share in the cost of real property and have access to the property year round. Weekend or holiday, as our European friends call it, are becoming even more popular. If you are seeking help please give me a call.
The beaches of the southern outer banks area are a welcome alternative to the Wilmington area. Lovely fishing, great scuba diving! Great food and beach fun and a multi million dollar aquarium which is a must for visitors.
Web Reference: http://www.crystalcoast.com
Wilmington is usually considered the closest beach from Raleigh and is a straight shot down I-40 East, which makes it a very easy drive. However it is certainly not the only choice in beaches within easy access from Raleigh - Myrtle Beach SC is a little over 3 hours away and is very developed with over 100 golf courses and you have very quiet beach choices such as topsail island and the atlantic beach areas which are under 3 hours away from Raleigh via hwy 70
I went to college at UNC - Chapel Hill, and knew several people from the area that owned beach houses in the Wilmington area. Being such a short drive from the Triangle Area, Wilmington is a popular weekend getaway.
Web Reference: http://www.BayAreaREI.com
My family and I just visited Wilmington Beach for the first time last week for a day trip. It was absolutely wonderful to just get in the car and be on the sand and surf within hours. We were back by evening! In answer to your question, YES!
Web Reference: http://www.helencroghan.com