Jennifer, Home Buyer in 02861

Do modular homes lose value? I saw modular townhomes that were put up on cement. They look really nice and 2 of 4 units sold recently.

Asked by Jennifer, 02861 Thu Dec 9, 2010

I saw modular townhomes that were put up on cement. They look really nice and 2 of 4 units sold recently. I am interested, but do they lose value over time?

Answers

3
In our area, well built modulars lose/gain value the same as stick built!
The future resale of a modular home is all based on land values, assuming you would own the land. On a rental site the value increase would be historically marginal to negative since your investment is in a unit and not land. In areas such as Southern Florida the value goes up and down dramatically based on location, condition and market, the same as a house.
Modulars are built well, just off site and brought in and assembled on site. They are much different than manufactured homes which are like trailers and double wides that do not hold their values as well. I have not seen a modular town house but I can't imagine why they would not hold their values well. Placing them on a slab would not be my first choice but it sounds like they are selling. Go for it.