Emma Ree, Home Buyer in 11756

Do house swaps work? I'd like to swap my Levittown NY legal mother-daughter (needs work) for a smaller house nearby, maybe in Westbury NY.

Asked by Emma Ree, 11756 Mon Jan 17, 2011

Answers

6
In this area, highly unlikely..... Rather than considering a swap, consider listing your property for sale and then purchase something else that suits your needs...therefore, interview a few agents, or as many as needed, from different realty offices, then choose the one you like best and the one who has the most to offer.....then go from there.
I agree with Tim. Except I would add bacon on top. I like crispy bacon especially when struck by lightening!
They work if both properties are owned without a mortgage. Remember - the mortgage is on the property, not on the owner - you can't just take over each other's mortgage.

Hi Emma - It can work if a lot of "ducks" get lined up in a row. Your best bet is to sell your house - get it into contract - then go looking for a home. It is harder in this market to sell then it is to buy. So do not put the "cart in front of the horse."
I think it's possible, but not very likely. I've heard people say the odds of this happening is like winning the lottery. You'd be better off just listing it for sale, then buy the house you want!
While anything is possible, I think the odds of you being struck by lightning while on horseback with a card table on your head would be as likely. I can't imagine two people finding the two perfect homes and who both want to swap. But then I buy lottery tickets too, so anything is possible. Good luck with it.